Mattress Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun May 14, 2006 7:46 pm

Noob wrote:So... a simple futon, is out.

Noob,

I got a foam futon mattress from Target. It is 6 inches thick and has 5 layers of foam with a canvas cover on it. It isn't as comfortable as the Posturepedic bed in the house, but it only cost $89. I like it better than the air bed we used to use in the tent, but it was pretty comfortable too. Seem like anything is better than sleeping on the cold hard ground, just different levels of comfort. I think someone should start a thread about the recreational aspects of each type of mattress. Does anyone else take time to stop and giggle because the TD is hopping around the campground? :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Namsayn » Sun May 14, 2006 8:13 pm

I used to have an air mattress for camping in a tent or my pickup with topper. Also used to have a water bed at home. Had to ditch the water bed because of furniture issues and went to TempurPedic. Expensive and not quite as comfortable as the water bed to my way of thinking. Decided to put one in the TD so it wouldn't "bottom out." Love it!
The air mattress I had was inflated from the front and would be a little tricky to inflate in a TD.
Them's my thoughts.
Randy
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Sun May 14, 2006 8:40 pm

We bought a 60 x 80 piece of 6 inch foam from a local upholstery shop and put it inside of an old queen-sized futon cover that we had in the closet. Cost: $65.

Is it comfortable? Yes, very comfortable. Can we get it in / out of the door? Yes, without a problem.

AJ.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:26 am

Since I have a TTT with a walk in door, getting a mattress in and out is not a problem. And, I'm going to have 4 cushions anyway. I was about to order from Foam Products here in FL, but think I'll check with the local upholstry shops to see if I can get a better price (thanks for the idea, AJ).

I had planned on 4" of medium firm foam cushions for seat firmness with a 3" memory foam topper on it for sleeping comfort. They have the 3" topper on Amazon for $99.99 with free shipping. The reviews almost all complain that the "queen" sized topper is too small. The dimensions are actually 55" x 75", 5" shorter and narrower than a queen mattress, but that will fit my custom sized bed frame (57"x76") perfectly, and at a good price.

I'll try my hand at making cushion covers. I upholstered a couch years ago and made decent covers with zippers in the back. I guess I can still do it.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Mon May 15, 2006 10:06 am

Has anyone tried using two thick sleeping bags zipped together. Most will open out to blanket style. The zipper of one could zipped to the second sleeping bag (at top and bottom ends)
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Mon May 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Haven't tried using it for a mattress, but that is what the wife and I use when we are camping.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon May 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Todah Tear wrote:Has anyone tried using two thick sleeping bags zipped together. Most will open out to blanket style. The zipper of one could zipped to the second sleeping bag (at top and bottom ends)

That's what we are planning to use. I know some talk about using sheets, covers etc but two zipped sleeping bags stay together vs sheets that need to be tucked in etc. I don't want my bedding falling out of the door and also I don't want to make the bed every morning, a sleeping bag is sooo easy :thumbsup: . Also it would be easier to convert the space into a dining area with sleeping bags zipped together. That’s just our opinion. 8) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Mattress Question

Postby Melvin » Wed May 17, 2006 1:30 pm

Classic Finn wrote:We would like to know as to what phase of the build do you folks usually go out and buy the mattress so you dont have to squeeze it in through
the doors?

I haven't started building yet but we've already got our mattress. It's a 6" high end Futon mattress we bought from IKEA. Rolls up so we should have no problem getting it in through the door.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby apratt » Wed May 17, 2006 1:49 pm

Sleeping bags are too hot for me in the summer time. :phew:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed May 17, 2006 2:01 pm

This is the one we used got the 3" firm and a cheapy egg crate from wally word on top, put it all in a fitted sheet and we are good to go. $69.00 is a good price too, or you could go with the 5" for $99.00. I like it better than the S&F we have in the house.
http://tinyurl.com/egdm5
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:59 pm

I could have gotten away a lot cheaper for a mattress if I could use a one piece unit. But, I need seats for my couch to double as a bed, and they don't come all that cheap. The foam I found in fabric stores is just too soft for seating. I priced my 4 cushions, 4" thick, medium firm for seating at Knox Foam and Foam Products here in Florida. Knox was way higher than FP (Knox $215 free shipping, FP $142 plus $20 shipping). Then, I tried locally and could only find one place, a mattress factory, that sold good quality foam and they wanted $320 for the same 4 cushions. So, it's FP for my cushion foam pieces.

BUT!!!. We're sitting on two of them, so, at leat two of them need covers. That another $79 for twill covers from Knox for my two cushions I'll use for the couch. I checked with a local upholster, and he wants more in labor charges to make them than Knox wants for the whole cover, fabric and labor. The local guys around here just charge too darned much.

BUT!!!! I'm still not finished spending yet. Another $100 for a 3" memory foam topper from Amazon to make the firm cushions comfortable to sleep on. Two of my local WM don't have memory foam toppers. I haven't looked at the 3rd one yet, the newest and largest of the 3. Their online prices are also higher than Amazon. Watch out for their so-called 4" memory foam mattress topper. The fine print says it's 1.5" memory foam and 2.5" hi-density foam.

Bottom line, is that after spending all I have to build this trailer, I'm not going to skimp on the sleeping part. I want it to look good and feel good. I'm over budget and just don't give a rat's (CENSORED). It ain't gonna look half-(CENSORED AGAIN)ed if I can help it.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion