Mattress Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Nitetimes » Sat May 13, 2006 7:40 am

PresTx82 wrote:I thought most Teardroppers used the air mattress for their Tears! You can get a Coleman Queen size on sale for about $20.00. I did.

That what's in ours with a pillow top mattress pad on it. Quite comfortable but it's a lot like sleeping on a waterbed, when one person gets in or out the other gets jostled around a bit so we are going to 4" foam with the mattress pad.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby IndyTom » Sat May 13, 2006 9:56 am

When the MegaTear is complete, moma and I will probably be sleeping on our queen size air mattress. It is really comfortable and we really like it. However, if I am able, I eventually want to put a Select Comfort queen size in it. That is what we have on our bed at home and it is without a doubt, hands down, the most comfortable night's sleep I have ever had.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sat May 13, 2006 10:09 am

I have 4" foam. cut in sections for easy removal. This very profitable because I usually find about $3 in change that has fallen behind it. I think you need to be able to clean under it.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat May 13, 2006 11:05 am

I tried to find an air mattress to fit but they don't make them 56 ½" wide. We have 4 cushions of 4" grey medium firm foam with 1" of memory foam in zippered waterproof cases. They will double as cushions for the foot well cover that doubles as a table. It wasn't cheap by no means $> but we want to be comfortable. Why go to all the trouble to build a bedroom on wheels and skimp out :? on the part you'll spend all you time on when in the cabin. I've napped on them and it is very comfortable, I have no regrets with this purchase. 8) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Chris C » Sat May 13, 2006 11:12 am

We plan on using a Select Comfort Sleep Number mattress..................the one from the bed in the house. :lol: (figured why spend the extra money buying another!)
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat May 13, 2006 8:38 pm

IndyTom wrote:When the MegaTear is complete, moma and I will probably be sleeping on our queen size air mattress.

Tom, I had a Coleman air mattress in my (4' wide) tear, and it was very comfortable. The only reason I changed was because the mattress was 54" wide and the tear is 48" wide inside. When the doors were open the mattress buldged out a little. This wasn't a problem when I camped alone, but when my wife went along, the mattress budged just enough that she could'nt get her door shut from inside the tear.
:thumbdown: I had to get up and shut it from the outside. That was a real pain, especially in the middle of the night! The foam mattress solved that problem but it wasn't real cheap. :oops:
Both are comfortable and the foam seems easier to put sheets and blankets on so it has worked out well. :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Sat May 13, 2006 9:42 pm

Kurt,
We have a Coleman clone that came from Meijer. It is queen sized and I believe it is real close to 60". That shouldnt be a problem, since the MegaTear is about 80" wide inside. I wanted the boys to have full length bunks as well as a spot inside the door where they could step before climbing up to their bunks that didnt involve stepping on our bed.

Chris, that is a pretty good idea. I think I could get our Sleep Number out of the house in about 30 min. or so. :thumbsup:

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Sat May 13, 2006 10:18 pm

Yup, Tom. Just pull the plugs and take it out there just before you leave on a trip and air it up. Nice and simple. $1000 bed in a teardrop!!!!! :? Hudda thunk it? :thinking: :rofl2:

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun May 14, 2006 1:16 am

Chris C wrote:Yup, Tom. Just pull the plugs and take it out there just before you leave on a trip and air it up. Nice and simple. $1000 bed in a teardrop!!!!! :? Hudda thunk it? :thinking: :rofl2:

What are you sleeping on for $1000 a twin? :lol: :lol: Up here in the Great Northwest you can spend over $3,000 :money: on one of those things in the queen size, no thanks, got a Costco special Sealey with memory foam topper, nice bed. 8) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Classic Finn » Sun May 14, 2006 6:59 am

alaska teardrop wrote:Shoot Heikki,
    Thought you'd be sleeping on Reindeer hides? :lol:
Fred
    :peace:
Are you light all night yet? :relaxing:

Naaaa - We be using the Reindeer Skins for quilts or so called bed spreads... :lol: :lol:

We have pretty much light already during the entire night however come June the sun will not set at all.. So we can read the newspaper without any
problem what so ever... Really neat... :thumbsup:

So Once again we can call Finland "The Land of The Midnight Sun" as it is known. ;)

Classic Finn

PS Do you want our Midnight Sun Mosquitos from Lapland? We,d like to donate a few.. :lol: :lol:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby alaska teardrop » Sun May 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Classic Finn wrote: Do you want our Midnight Sun Mosquitos from Lapland? We,d like to donate a few.. :lol: :lol:
No thanks Heikki,
    Soon enough, we'll have plenty of our own! :lol:
    19 hours from sunrise to sunset and gaining. Light all night here too. Soon we'll be celebrating under the Midnight Sun with baseball, fun runs & such. 8)
From the other Land of the Midnight Sun,
    Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Sun May 14, 2006 2:17 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:
Classic Finn wrote: Do you want our Midnight Sun Mosquitos from Lapland? We,d like to donate a few.. :lol: :lol:
No thanks Heikki,
    Soon enough, we'll have plenty of our own! :lol:
    19 hours from sunrise to sunset and gaining. Light all night here too. Soon we'll be celebrating under the Midnight Sun with baseball, fun runs & such. 8)
From the other Land of the Midnight Sun,
    Fred

Were really glad that it will be such that the sun will not set all night. It,ll give me more chance to really "Gitty Up N Go" on the Finn Voyager...

Figured out a lil technical problem on the frame. Check out the thread.

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Chris C » Sun May 14, 2006 3:47 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
What are you sleeping on for $1000 a twin? :lol: :lol: Up here in the Great Northwest you can spend over $3,000 :money: on one of those things in the queen size, no thanks, got a Costco special Sealey with memory foam topper, nice bed. 8) Danny

Back when I bought it 8 years ago, a queensized Select Comfort was "only" (easy to say isn't it?) around a thousand dollars. Didn't have any idea what they cost today. ($3000.......WHEW!) :? Nicest benifit, besides a marvelous nights sleep is they weigh next to nothing!!!!! Gotta save weight, ya know! I've lifted too many foam mattresses with memory foam toppers. They're nice, for sure, but weigh much too much for me.

Chris C

Postby Noob » Sun May 14, 2006 7:17 pm

So... a simple futon, is out.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Nytewyng » Sun May 14, 2006 7:42 pm

We went with Know Foam 5 inch medium firm , the wife will make a giant case out of two falt queen sheet and then we'll put a fitted matress cover over that. If that proves not comfortable enough we'll probably get a two inch memory foam topper. We were able to get ours in the galley end , the counter is hinged and lifts up for acess.
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion