First Trip Success

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

First Trip Success

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:48 am

:D Returned yesterday from shakedown cruise. Great trip to Myrtle Beach State Park SC. Give Park two thumbs up. Clean, quiet and close to main strip. Had to leave early due to Gaston Storm and went to Lake Sinclair GA for the remainder of week. Wifes first camping experience and she enjoyed it. Pulled TD with 97 T Bird and have never pulled a trailer that tracked and handled so well. Backs up like a dream. Still have some finish and trim work to do but was very pleased with it. I made screen doors that worked out well and made for lots of ventilation. Will try to get photos on line soon. We have a better idea now of what we need to add and build in now. NOTE: passed a west bound Tear on I-20 heading west near Columbia SC on the way home. We are both looking forward to October Southeast gathering. :D :D Alan and Wanda
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:50 am

Sounds good. You went to the State Park there, right? I'll be checking that campground too, some day!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:09 am

Campground sits in trees behind berm. A little muggy in afternoon and early evening. Beach is 2 or 3 minute walk and there is a pier about a half mile south and another maybe a mile to the north. $24 a night and well worth it. Alan
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:14 pm

Allen was it an alum cubby,,if so thats prob Clancy,,he lives just out of Columbia,,,any other tips on the first outing,,Donna and I are going next weekend,,,dang it she works weird hours,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:49 pm

Be careful Chip, said something like that to Linda and she GUIT! :cry:

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:50 pm

Be careful Chip, said something like that to Linda and she GUIT! :cry: She says now we can go anytime I'm not working. :shock:

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:56 pm

Plan easy to cook meals and prepare what you can ahead of time such as bake your potatos for first meal and all you have to do is heat them. Put enough coffee for each pot in a sandwich bag ready to use. CHECK OUT stove etc. before you go and make sure it all works and you know how to use it. I might suggest that you camp out in your yard one night and try it all out. If using an easy up screened shelter think about that area under your trailer that the mosquitos will come from. That Coleman cofee maker is well worth the money and the space that it takes. Don't forget a small ground cloth or mat for outside the trailer door. Heat your beans and stuff in the can so you have less to clean up. First few trips are for learning so don't get upset if you have problems. If the weather is really lousy and going to stay that way then hook up and go somewhere else like I had to to get away from Gaston Storm. Get a bunch of S hooks for hanging things on easy up or where ever. Take a roll of duct tape for who knows what. Have fun and enjoy. Alan
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capsu78 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:55 am

My first shakedown cruise too, and it went pretty well.
Drove up to Lake Lenwood campground in West Bend Wisconsin. Very well run campground with an emphisis on "camping" rather than "Party at the Campsite"! Ran into propane freeze up issue, had to abort breakfast menu half way through... and my first attempt to perk coffee failed. Instead we "outsourced" breakfast to a local diner, which was fantastic anyway so no real damage done. Spoke to some other propane users and made some adjustments and I was able to cook a fabulous Sat night dinner to mush praise, so I recovered well!
Sleeping in my 4 x 8 Hunter was a bit tight, as many other posters have mentioned, but the purchase was made prior to finding this site, so live and learn (to cope)... I toss quite a bit normally, so I had to wake up and think about tossing first, so I didn't elbow my wife and give her a black eye I would have troble explaining on our anniversary weekend...
I had much traffic of lookers from the RV crowd who were very complimentary of the simplicity of our camping set up. They then went back to watching the NASCAR race on their flat screen TV's. We got plenty of invites to come on over, so I didn't feel like I missed out too much by not having a big RV.
All in all I will grade my experience a solid C+, and will only get better as I get a few more trips under my belt.
capsu78
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chip » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Frank we just wont tell Donna about the comment on weird hours or Linda quitting,,,no use giving her any ideas she is not already sort of thinking,,,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:21 am

Chip It was Siver or white and just caught a flash of it in heavy traffic accross 4 or 5 lanes. ALAN
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion