Drop down table design ideas

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Drop down table design ideas

Postby Teconic » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:32 pm

Hello Mike, et al,

I was motivated by the RV Crazy show to learn more about Teardrops and found myself on your great forum. I have a couple of newbie questions:

1. Has anyone completed a Weekender? It's a fantastic concept and I'd like to try to build one...but I'd really like to see some pictures of a finished one, and,

2. Since it rains a lot in New England, I would like a trailer that one (or two) could sit inside in reasonable comfort for extended periods but could quickly break the table down into a bed. I saw a few mock up pictures, but I'm no ergonomic engineer. Is there a resource for interior design ideas?

Thanks for hosting this cool forum.
Teconic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:28 am

Hi Teconic,

Well, you're too early. No one has finished a Weekender yet. It sounds like you have already see the mockup photos so you have a clue what a finished Weekender might look like. I'm still working on the details for simplicity... :D

To be able to sit inside for extended periods of time, you would need either a dropped floor, or a 5' tall teardrop. Then you can put in a table like this...

Maybe you are the one that's going to build a 5' tall version of the Weekender???

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

5 ft Weekender?

Postby Teconic » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:18 am

Hey Mike,

I thought that might be the case (too early). Wondered why a concept that appeared to be such a good idea hadn't actually been built. I'll be following your progress on the insulated Weekender.

I think that a 5x5x10 layout may be more appropriate than the more typical 4x4x8 for me. I'm 6'3" and there's no modifying those dimensions.

How about interior layouts with a table in a 5 ft configuration? Are you going to do that in your 5 footer? Any designers out there looking for a(n) "interior space optimization for tall people" challenge?

Thanks,

Carl
Teconic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:15 pm

Carl,

When sitting in your chair, what is the distance from the top of your chair to the top of your head?

As for a designed optimized for tall people, all you need to do is tell me how long a bed you would like. It's that easy!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Teconic » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:27 pm

Let's see - I'm 38 1/2 inches in a chair (let's say 40 in.) My chair is 18 inches from the floor. So that looks like 58 in. nominal, let's call it 60 in. We've arrived at 5 feet!

A standard bed is 74 inches long. I'm 75 inches long. 76 would be a luxury, but hey, isn't that what teardroppin' is all about? :wink:

BTW, I wasn't asking you to custom design a Tear for me - I was looking for some interior design ideas for "luxury Tears" and couldn't find 'em on the site. I won't stop you, however, if you insist. :)

Carl
Teconic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:30 pm

Well Carl, I think I have the perfect design for you...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:47 pm

BTW,

My Baja Benroy has a bench that is 13" above the floor, and the cushion on top of that is 4". All told, the bed is 39 1/4" above the ground. So in order not to have to dive into bed, you would want to be able to step on the floor before sitting on the bed.

That rules out a 5' wide teardrop. You need to have at least a 6' wide teardrop, so 1' of it can be floor, while the other 5' can be bed.

Do you follow?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Teconic » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:48 pm

Yep, that's it all right! Guess I better get busy - no more excuses!

I still think I'd like to see your 5 ft Weekender behind the Jetta before I start swinging a hammer. :wink: What's your ETA on that particular project?

Carl
Teconic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:55 pm

Here's another good design... check out the album in the middle, called Midget Trailer... :wink:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/4a4fun@sb ... /my_photos

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:57 pm

Here's the 5' wide Weekender behind the Jetta! :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Teconic » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:03 pm

Let's see - a full size mattress is 54 in. How about a taller entry door and a fold down step outside. A 6 inch threshold isn't great, but isn't it do-able? I really don't want to go over 5 ft wide.

Thanks,

Carl
Teconic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Teconic » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:08 pm

Woah! Guess the ETA is today! :o

That looks fantastic! Are you putting a table in there? I guess
I'm fixated on tables today. :lol:

Carl
Teconic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:13 pm

Teconic wrote:Let's see - a full size mattress is 54 in. How about a taller entry door and a fold down step outside. A 6 inch threshold isn't great, but isn't it do-able? I really don't want to go over 5 ft wide.

Thanks,

Carl
6" isn't enough. You really need a foot. The other option is to put in a footwell, and keep the bed low... like this...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:31 pm

Also check out Rik's "Road Toad" which has a dropped floor in it!!! :wink:

http://webs.lanset.com/rikeller/Trailer ... railer.htm

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JamesW » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:31 pm

Mike,

What about your "door is ajar" plan? I adapted it to a 4 x 8 trailer and have lots of room. It is 5 feet high. I am 5'11" and when I sit on it, I have about 8 inches or so of head room (with out a cushion). I need to buy some later.
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion