Harbor Freight

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Harbor Freight

Postby bg » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:22 am

Not sure if I would advise anyone to order from them.

I placed an order for a fairly cheap welder last week, Recieved my confirmation and nothing else since.

Decided to call them this morning. My credit card was declined (probably me typing the numbers in wrong). Apparently when that happens they cancel the order without contacting you by either email or phone, rather they opt to send you a post card in the mail.

The "Customer service agent" sounded like she was a teenager and did not speak very clearly. Just a warning to anyone that decides to buy from their website.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:52 am

Ah Harbor Freight. It is probably a blessing in disguise you did not get that cheap welder. It has been a long time since I have traded with them. But over the years my experiences with them and their products have been mixed at best. Most folks seem satisfied with the trailer but I would like to hear some opinions on other purchases.

As a short aside: I think I spoke to that same HF "customer service" agent awhile back. Nice young lady. Turrns out she is a teenager and works in the HF call center right there in China. Been with HF over 10 years, recently promoted from packing and shipping dept., after several years in the "Chicago" factory next door on the assembly line. She is hoping to move to the Bank of America call center nearby soon. She's also taking programming lessons online because she heard SBC was coming in and they are going to pay 55 cents a day over there!

Sorry folks. I couldn't resist. When it comes to Harbor Freight I have to whip out the soap box with the hand rails and leaning post and have lunch catered in.
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby bg » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:34 pm

I decided I would be better off just to spend the extra on a nice hobart MIG.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:27 pm

Money well invested. Hobart makes good machines. Some things you just don't want to skimp on. D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Jabber » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:27 pm

All in all I have been very satisfied with HF but I have a store here in Tampa so I dont use the call center.

But I do have one for the books. I went to the store to get the 1800 trailer, after getting a rain check and waiting 4 weeks for them to get one in I was finally able to get one. Now I was planning a trip for the weekend with my son ( I currently use the trailer as a chuckwagon as seen in my avatar pic) so I got the trailer on Thursday and went to town putting it together. My buddy and I worked our tails off in the FL heat getting this thing together so we could take it for the trip. All was ready so we grabbed the box with the wheels in it and when we opened it to our surprise was a broken 12" Mitre saw. I called HF right away but they had closed for the night. Friday I contacted HF and they said I could return the trailer and they would order me a new one. I finally was able to track down a store that had a trailer in stock and would let me take the wheels. We finally got it together and we had a successful trip.
Tired of Tenting
Jabber
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Eric Adams » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:56 am

bg wrote:I decided I would be better off just to spend the extra on a nice hobart MIG.

Good idea. I bought a HF 110v/220 Arc welder for $100. Rod kept sticking and driving me crazy. I threw down $325 at Tractor Supply and got a Hobart Handler 125. VERY nice welder. I love the thing. Its wire-fed flux core. I spent another $75 a few weeks back and will get my Mig conversion kit tomorrow. :)

I recommend Hobart.... :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby bg » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:10 am

Eric Adams wrote:
bg wrote:I decided I would be better off just to spend the extra on a nice hobart MIG.

Good idea. I bought a HF 110v/220 Arc welder for $100. Rod kept sticking and driving me crazy. I threw down $325 at Tractor Supply and got a Hobart Handler 125. VERY nice welder. I love the thing. Its wire-fed flux core. I spent another $75 a few weeks back and will get my Mig conversion kit tomorrow. :)

that's actually exactly what I bought. $329, no tax and free shipping.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:03 pm

bg wrote:
Eric Adams wrote:

Get the conversion kit. :) Mine came today. Gotta save up $55 to lease a Argon/CO2 tank and $35 to fill it. THe kit is nice though and who knows how long they will continue to sell them.
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby bg » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:06 pm

Eric Adams wrote:
bg wrote:
Eric Adams wrote:

Get the conversion kit. :) Mine came today. Gotta save up $55 to lease a Argon/CO2 tank and $35 to fill it. THe kit is nice though and who knows how long they will continue to sell them.

I plan on it. Just waiting for finances to recover a bit.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby bg » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:30 pm

Got my Hobart today. Aparrently I can still make a pretty nice weld.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:03 pm

Can you cut with it too, or just weld?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:44 pm

Just weld. I wish I had the money for a plasma cutter.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:05 pm

Oh darn... I need to find someone with a plasma cutter!!! :cry:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Eric Adams » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:09 pm

bg wrote:Just weld. I wish I had the money for a plasma cutter.

Same here. :( Lowest Plasma cutter I have seen is $500.
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:20 am

Hey Mike, What do you want to know about plasma cutters?
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion