Curved weekender

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Curved weekender

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:08 am

Curved Weekender

I've been trying to package a curved Weekender and it's been full of surprises..

Just thought you might like to see how far along I've gotten... This is a work in progress, things are changing by the minute... :wink:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:15 am

well gee Wally..that looks like a teardrop to me.. 8)
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:20 am

I like it! Maybe I'll do it when I join the 2nd TD club. A bit complex for a first timer like me.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:17 pm

It's the best!!!!

Now get busy and start building soon! I want to see it!

PLEASE PLEASE could you provide step-by-step plans for this one?

5' wide!!, curved!!!, and low!!! YEAH!!
Perfection!!
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:00 pm

Amen.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:22 pm

Curved is nice, but complicates building a whole bunch.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:24 pm

Yes, it's a little tougher... but I'll manage, somehow! :wink:

BTW, here's a rough draft of how she'll look!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:42 pm

Love it!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jimbo » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:58 pm

Is it still a Weekender or does the new design increase the build time?
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:53 pm

The build time has definitely increased... I guess I need to come up with a new name eh? Maybe something like Summer Vacation... :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:36 pm

mikeschn wrote:I guess I need to come up with a new name eh?

Why don't you have a contest for the new name?

Here's a few that come to mind...

1. Table For Two
2. Monthlonger
3. Lil' Diner

Postby Arne » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:45 am

Mike, I love your new design. I also question... why?

I have to go back and review your other notes on why you want a table. If it were twice as big, it makes sense. And I understand why you would want to eat inside if it is raining....

My scenario: It's raining... I go to a diner, eat, come back and go to bed and read....... It's really cold... same result.

If I had one designed like your new one (I really like the footwell idea), I'm not sure how much time I'd spend sitting (chair leg height 15"; chair backs, straight, short, head room for 5 footers re the curved bulkhead).

This design requires a whole bunch of ergonomic creativity. and I look forward to your final product.

The bottom line for me is how much time would I really spend using a trailer with this design (in the 'table' mode). Don't get me wrong, I think you have some great ideas, which I will use on my next tead drop, but is this a dream vs. reality thing?

ps. where is the a/c?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:39 am

Arne,

Good question.

We love our Baja Benroy. Every day we convert the bed back into a table, and every night we make the bed again. Why? Because it's so comfortable.

We don't use the table when it's nice outside, but if it's not so nice, we just slip in, out of the elements, and we have our own little retreat, away from the elements, or whatever.

When we went to Wamplers Lake, Bev & Bob, and also Kurt & Jeanie we camping in the sun, without any shade. And as the day wore on, they got warmer and warmer. Bev especially looked like she was overheating. So we turned on the air, and retreated from the heat. In no time Bev was back to her normal self! :)

When we are doing quick 1 nighters we don't set up a tent or an easy up. We just back in, and stabilize (30 seconds) and we are done! If it's raining, we can retreat inside.

We have even retreated inside to play a game of cards, so that the wind wouldn't blow the cards away.

Yes, we really like the comfort and convenience an inside table adds.

The Baja Benroy has a tongue weight of about 275 pounds... much too heavy to tow with the Jetta. So this design exercise is to put all the best features of the Baja Benroy into a Curved Weekender that I can tow with the Jetta.

As for the air conditioner, well I did say it was a rough draft. Unless I come up with something better, it'll be here...

As for the size... I've made it 5' wide instead of 6' so I can see around it with the Jetta. I've made it 54" high instead of 60" high to minimize the weight. And adding the dropped footwell gives us the same comfort that we have in the Baja Benroy. And Grant says it's a smooth motion to step over the threshhold, and slide into the seat. And he should know...

Just look at him sitting at his table in his teardrop....
http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/contact.html

Does that answer the question?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:40 am

Arne,
I think if you can fit a table in a teardrop, it's nice to have. Especially if you have AC.

When we were at Hayes State Park with Mike and Michelle, it was a hot blazing day. Because we were in a camping lot that didn't have ANY shade, there was really nowhere to get cool. Mike and Michelle invited us over to "sit" in the Baja and cool off with some AC. It was a nice cool place to go sit.

The other thing I like about a table inside is for playing cards or board games. If you don't have a picnic table, it's nice to have a table to sit at that is level and at the correct height to do such things.

Another thought here in Michigan, is the BUGS. We have a screen tent we sit inside, but we sit outside in that screen tent until we go to bed or the mesquitoes would drive you inside to sleep at sundown! It would be nice on cold nights to be able to sit up for awhile inside a warm trailer.

We don't have ac, but for all the above reasons, especially when we rustic camp quite a bit and can't get to a diner within miles... a table inside would be nice for short periods.

This "summer vacation" trailer has alot going for it. The curved lines are what I feel sets it apart from most trailers of today. By keeping it low and curved it has the look of the "teardrop" that so many people like.

Bev

MIke--- Oh, I see from your above post it was pretty obvious I felt like I was suffering from heat stroke that day. You guys probably saved my life!! :lol:
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:01 am

Mike,
Only one door? Does 5' really give one enough room inside to feel comfortable with only one door?
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion