Air Springs

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby elmo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:35 pm

I have the air bags on my Excursion and fill them with my regular air compressor when I need them. It was alot alot cheaper than the on-board compressor. If I pulled more ofter I would of went the other route.

Only cost around $250!

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:48 pm

[quote="Chris C
Wow, I thought the idea was to not exceed 10% of the total weight of the trailer ending up on the tongue. But if you're not having any troubles towing, I guess the "proof is in the pudding", so to speak. But, obviously, the tongue is too heavy for your vehicle. Personally I'd consider putting more weight behind the axle. Just a thought.[/quote]

I'm guessing on that tongue weight and I don't want to try and lift it with my lower back problems. As you have not experienced first hand, it's not that easy to get everything to textbook specifications on a teardrop that you have never built before. I don't want to carry rocks etc in the back to compensate for the tongue weight but the bikes will help some. This is my prototype so ease up on me please. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Chris C » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:01 pm

You're right, Danny, I know nothing about building things. You were sharing a problem and I was honestly trying to help. I wasn't putting you down. Sorry if that's the way you took it.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:19 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
madjack wrote:Danny, think of them in two categories...air shocks and air springs...the air lifts you are linking to are air bags that replace or supplement the springs(air springs)...most of the rest of us are talking about air shocks that replace existing shock absorbers and are generally aired up manually as needed without a permanently installed compressor (at least the Monroes on my old PU were that way)...
madjack 8)

Madjack, I looked under my Blazer and found a rubber thing mounted to the chassis frame above the leaf springs that looks like the Michelin man. I'm figuring it's there to prevent my suspension from bottoming out. Would this be replaced with the air bag? If so it looks simple to do :thumbsup: . Danny

Danny, no expert here but the ones I have seen/had experience with either fit inside the coils springs or replaced them altogether...the air shocks on the other hand, replace the regular shocks...on 18 wheelers, the air bags basically replace the springs using an arm, shackle mounted in the front with the rear sitting atop the air bag...the bag-inna-spring type usually have to be replaced periodiaclly from wear and tear, the ones that replace the spring entirely would be better as would the air shocks...check the application guide on the site you linked to...I would highly recommend them...one or the other...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:47 pm

Thanks Madjack, I'll check that site more on application as I would prefer adding to my rear suspension to compensate the added weight. It sounds like most of you prefer the air bags, thanks to all of you. :applause: Danny
Chris C., Turn off the computer and make that tear & forget about it, I'm really not sore at you.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Danny, my recommendation would be for the air shocks, because they are probably easier to change out...second would be the air bag that completely replaces the coil springs...it would probably give the better ride/control overall but would be a tougher installation........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:27 pm

Danny - Here's pix of the Air Lift air bags from my old Ford Diesel P/U. They were a real b!tch to install/uninstall :x . They mounted on top of the leaf springs with the 'square' u-bolts shown, & the upper part bolted to the outside of the frame with the 4 bolts shown on the upper flanges. These are for a leaf spring application. If your Blazer has coil springs, the Air Bags will probably replace them (no easy task). As MJ noted, the air shocks do the same job as the air bags, just less capacity. I'd sure give them a try before adding the air bags :roll: . Also, the poly bags WILL need to be replaced every few years.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:45 pm

I've installed quite a few of these ones, not too tough to install (under 2 hours) and they do the job quite well. They are not a replacement for any of your suspension, just a helper.

2nd and third pics
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:54 pm

Nitetimes wrote:I've installed quite a few of these ones, not too tough to install (under 2 hours) and they do the job quite well. They are not a replacement for any of your suspension, just a helper.

2nd and third pics

I doubt you knew this but I shop at Freeway Trailer & it's about 15 miles away. I'll give them a call tomorrow, Thanks Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:01 pm

you know..if I didn't know better, i'd say that Danny has his mind set on air bags and don't want no stinkin' air shocks on his vehicle. :roll:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 pm

This is what is available in Air Lift air springs for my vehicle. I have tomorrow off so, as much as I hate to do it I'll go to Les Schwab and see what they carry too. They ripped me off on my front brakes. I had the same job done at Buckeys on the rear for $300 less the next day. I've taken your recommendation into consideration, thanks Madjack. http://www.stengelbros.com/catalog/59536_1710569.htm
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:26 pm

Jiminsav wrote:you know..if I didn't know better, i'd say that Danny has his mind set on air bags and don't want no stinkin' air shocks on his vehicle. :roll:

"We don't need no stinkin air shocks":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm leaning that way but I have an open mind and will explore the air shocks too. If they fit my Blazer, are cheaper, easier to install and do what I need, I'll go for it :thumbsup: . I'm not fond of working under a vehicle, I'm a woodworker, I don't enjoy cramming my body under a vehicle getting a stiff neck and all. Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:45 pm

Danny, the air shocks are easy to put on, the hardest part is running the tubing back to the bumper and drilling a hole for the valve to go in.

I was 18 and put a pair on my P.O.S 68 buick wildcat so it would have that jacked up rear end hot rod look..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Ok guys, the air shocks are out and so are the air bags. I visited www.freewaytrailer.com today and the guy went out to check out my tow vehicle and trailer. He said the best bet for my situation and vehicle was Super Springs. They only work when needed and there is no adjusting ever. They are easy to install and help with the top heavy roll common in SUV's. Though I don't needed that much they give 1800# more towing capacity. I'll get back to this thread when I have them installed. Thanks for all the help especially Rich who steered me to Freeway Trailer. :relaxing: Danny
Check out this website about Super Springs. http://www.macsspring.com/website/superspring-frame.htm
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:36 pm

...pretty neat looking solution Danny...looks like a fairly easy install as well...keep us informed as to how they work for you...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion