Air Springs

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:42 pm

madjack wrote:...pretty neat looking solution Danny...looks like a fairly easy install as well...keep us informed as to how they work for you...
madjack 8)

Madjack, I'm excited about this solution and I would have bought air bags if I didn't go through this thread with you fine group of people :thumbsup: . I'll make before and after photos to post when they are installed. Thanks, :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

airlift springs

Postby kayakr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:13 pm

here is the skinny on the airlift air springs. I used to own a 1990 chevy g20 van that had cracked leaf springs. It made the van sag in the back but i did not want to spend $700 for new springs. I purchased a set of airlift springs after talking with a friend who pulled a 5th wheel and spoke of the wonders of the springs. I was towing a 3000lb utility trailer for my business and the springs helped level the van and it improved the overall proformance of the van. The springs made the van ride a little stiff when i was not towing but they saved me from spending the cash and helped me tow the trailer safely for the remaining life of the van.

On the van i had to remove that rubber bumper between the axle and the frame. I had to drill some new holes in the frame and drop the exhaust during the install (did not have to cut it just let it sag so i could put in a bolt) I think the directions said it would take about 2hours to install but i remember it taking about 4 hours.

The onboard air compressor can make it real nice to adjust but i used a hand held tire guage and a standup bicycle pump. It only took about 10 seconds of pumping to level the van. It does not take much air to inflate the springs so don't blow a ton of money on an air supply.

if your trailer tongue is making the tow vehicle sag you will love the benefits of a set of air springs. Most people can do the install with a drill and a ratchet set. just take your time. enjoy
kayakr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:55 pm

I have the Super Springs installed now. They were quite easy to install. I had a question for the mfr and they were very helpful :thumbsup: . Before the tow vehicle sagged 2 1/2" and the tear sagged at the tongue. Now the tow vehicle sits a smidge high and the tear is 1/4" higher at the front from the back. With some gear in the back of the tow vehicle It should be pretty level all the way around. :relaxing: Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:25 pm

...pretty darn slick...slick :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ........................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:43 am

Danny, that looks much better!
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:35 am

bledsoe3 wrote:Danny, that looks much better!

I like it too. I was reading in the paper today that 80% of braking happens in the front even on rear wheel vehicles. With the old setup I felt my braking was compromised. The super springs make my braking more positive feeling now. I'll have to give it a freeway test this week end.
I agree with you (in another thread) we need an old geiser emoticon. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby lauriandgary » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 am

Hey Danny,

Is that a 97 Blazer? How many miles you have on it? I had a 96 Blazer and put 224,000 miles on it before the A/C went out. The parts would have run about $1000 to fix it. I didn't see spending that much on the vehicle and then having something else like the transmission go out a month down the road.
Gary

And if I don't see you tomorrow, hello.
lauriandgary
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:52 pm

lauriandgary wrote:Hey Danny,

Is that a 97 Blazer? How many miles you have on it? I had a 96 Blazer and put 224,000 miles on it before the A/C went out. The parts would have run about $1000 to fix it. I didn't see spending that much on the vehicle and then having something else like the transmission go out a month down the road.

It's a 99 and I spent $830 two years ago to fix the AC. It's a matter of comfort as I plan on keeping it for a long time. I drove my 85 for 18 years & now my adult son has it. Chevy's are cheaper to maintain than the import brands. I went through the whole thing and it works great now. I also have a 93 Chevy 3/4 ton (bought it new) that still drives like new, I take care of things and they last. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby sdtripper2 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:35 am

Danny:

Your solution looks real fine.
The simplicity of it sure seems like the best way to go.
Your pictures and your words about the breaking sure
do explain the problem and solution well.

You do ... your homework and do things right Danny.
I enjoyed reading this thread.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:10 am

sdtripper2 wrote:Danny:

Your solution looks real fine.
The simplicity of it sure seems like the best way to go.
Your pictures and your words about the breaking sure
do explain the problem and solution well.

You do ... your homework and do things right Danny.
I enjoyed reading this thread.

Thanks Steve, I did a freeway test drive yesterday and what a difference those Super Springs make. I also discovered last week that the old ball I was using was a 1 7/8" and the hitch is a 2". With the new 2" ball I don't get that jacking motion between tear & tow vehicle and it's almost like it's not back there. With the sag it always felt like I was taking off from a hole and now there is no effort to get rolling from a stop. I'm now looking into a stabilizer bar since one of the campers at Carntion showed me his and told me of the benefits. He was saying that when you make a panic stop the trailer will keep more in line with the tow vehicle, reduces trailer sway and it also helps to prevent everything from coming unhitched. I found a halogen back-up light at GI Joes tent sale yesterday that mounts at the top on a "U" shaped bracket. I'll mount it to the underside of the chassis so Jane can see for me when I need help backing into a spot at night. It was only $7 and I couldn't resist. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to General Discussion