Metal vs Fiberglass Fenders?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Metal vs Fiberglass Fenders?

Postby novaanne » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 am

Does anyone know where I can find Metal Kit-style fenders. I really like their look but am afraid fiberglass wont hold up as well as metal.

How are your fiberglass fenders holding up? Do you have them painted or did you leave them plain?

Thanks!
novaanne
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:41 am

Personally, I'd rather have fiberglass - it doesn't rust.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:54 am

as far as I know you can only get them in FG...unless you want some Jesse James/OCC clones to make up a one off pair for about 1 kazillion bucks :frightened: ...if you need them better protected, use some Rhino liner on their inside and 3M makes a product called clearbra(?) that can be put on the front outside...if you are going to be doing a lotta off/gravel roads you might want to skip 'em and just get regular steel fenders...also, some here have bought teardrop style tandem axle fenders and cut them down to make a semi look alike or pull out your deep wallet again and call the folks at Camp-Inn and get a pair of their SS models...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby novaanne » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:05 pm

Ok, so who makes the best Fiberglass Fenders? Better made, not better price.
novaanne
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:08 pm

...almost everybody uses the fenders from RW Johnson or Grant at Li'll Bear......................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:14 pm

RW Johson... http://www.teardroptrailers.net/index.htm
L'ill Bear... http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/
Teardrop Fix-it shop... http://teardropparts.com/

call RW or Grant for faster service...the fix-it shop has the originals with the outer mounting flange for authenticity
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:16 pm

novaanne wrote:Ok, so who makes the best Fiberglass Fenders? Better made, not better price.

I've used Grant's fenders on three projects so-far!
Very nice quality..shipping to the right-coast?..well, that's not so nice! :cry:
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby emiller » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:36 pm

I've bought a few of RW Johnson's fenders even ran one against a curb just scratched it there pretty tuff, although I was getting stars from rocks flying off the tires so I put a inner steel fender and under coated them now no problems. Put on some 3M clear mask on no chips on the front either. One of my friends got a blow out and it nocked the fender off his trailer with slight crack very repairable.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:02 pm

I have fenders from Grant. I had them off the trailer and sitting in front of one my parked cars. I came home one morning after a bad thunderstorm and saw something in the road. It was one of my fenders! The wind had blown it down my driveway and into the road which is about 125ft. The fender got the gel coat scratched up but it was fine.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Get in touch with Grant

Postby Guy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Dear Novaanne,

Get a hold of Grant. He is coming down to Long Beach soon and maybe he will deliver them and save you shipping.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Metal vs Fiberglass Fenders?

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:04 pm

novaanne wrote:Does anyone know where I can find Metal Kit-style fenders. I really like their look but am afraid fiberglass wont hold up as well as metal.

How are your fiberglass fenders holding up? Do you have them painted or did you leave them plain?

Thanks!

The original Kits were fiberglass with an outside flange, and like was mentioned previously, unless you hook up with a real metal artist you won't find them commercially available...just have plenty deep pockets...I've got 2 pairs of the glass ones and have had really good luck with them...although I don't have star cracks on them yet...it can happen, especially if you do a lot of dirt/gravel road cruising...I would recommend spraying the inside of the fender with something like a Rhino Liner...that will help...star cracking is caused by rocks thrown against the inside of the fender from the tire...check out the hoods on a lot of big rigs...they get them real often...they can't be just painted out...you need to take them out with spot putty and primer, then paint....your other option is to modify a set of older pickup fenders...I just went for the right now, bolt up fender....I think you'll find that they will hold up just fine...my 49 Kit held up till the late 80's when I sold it...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to General Discussion