Modified 2 piece hatch

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Modified 2 piece hatch

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:08 pm

Okay, I'm outside playing with the Square Weekender again. Today it's the hatch. After thinking about the hatch for a while, I decided that having 2 pieces was tooo... intensive... it would require 4 latches instead of just 2. It is procedurely twice as much work as a single hatch. But I wanted to keep the simplicity of the flat pieces of plywood (or panels). So what I did was cut out a couple ribs...

And attached them to the underside where the top and back panels meet... Voila' a 1 piece hatch, that's as easy to create as the rest of the teardrop. I could add a couple more ribs on the outside edges for extra strength! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby OurStuff4You » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:39 pm

I like that a lot better Mike. You sure work fast!
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:20 pm

OurStuff4You wrote:I like that a lot better Mike. You sure work fast!

Me too! Are you going to leave those spars exposed? Will you insulate the hatch?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:23 pm

My thoughts were to leave the inside uncovered... and the ribs of course, would be exposed also. I'd sand them smooth and stain them.

Of course if the wiring turned into a mess, I could skin the inside, and then put the ribs back on.

I don't think the hatch needs to be insulated, especially if you insulate the bulkhead wall.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Eagle » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:49 pm

Mike,

I too like this idea. How about using corner braces instead of fabbing the
ribs? Of course, I have no idea as to how long each side of the rib is or what size corner braces would be needed.

BTW, when are you going to show us details of the levitating avatar TD? :lol: Sorry, could not hold in back any longer and I am green because I can't do an avatar like that. :wink:

THANKS for all that you are doing here :!: :!: :!:

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:50 am

I'll be starting on the details for the levitating trailer today... It seems I'll have a real surprise that I'll be able to share with you guys on the building of this Lil Diner!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion