Porch light opinion

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:35 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Julie,

I have porch lights too for all the reasons everyone else said. Other thing is when you are away from camp and coming back at night, it is really nice to be able to see your trailer and all that is close by. Helps to find the door lock too. I have very low wattage bulbs in my porch lights, and while on the subject, be careful picking out bulbs for all 12 volt plastic fixtures, you can easily buy light bulbs that are high enough wattage to melt the plastic housings and covers.

Happy 4th of July ! :peace:

I installed my light with an electric eye so's it would come on at dark when I am not there. Like you say, nice to be able to see around the campsite to get into the camper. My Sportz tent covers the door completely and keeps out bugs an' its thin enough to let enough light out to be able to move around.....close to the tent. It is also switched from the inside so I can see what's messin' around out there at night. :roll:

Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Kens » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:45 pm

Only spent 3 nights in our TD. Have a porch light on each side switched inside. We never used them. side note We found out all our interior lights are toooo bright need to tone them down.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:01 pm

I just bought a pair of propane powered tiki torches. I always liked how they look at a campsite but never wanted to haul them around because of the smell and spill potential. I saw these and had to have them. They are pretty spendy as far as tiki torches go, but not having to worry about spilling that kerosene is worth it.

The box says that it will burn for 8 hours on a 1#can. I tested this and found that a refilled can (using HF refiller) lasted for 5 hours.

The purpose of the TIKI light is to #1 light up the area plus #2 ward of bugs. (or visa versa)

My solution is Garlic pills and a strong vodka or Rum and Coke. The garlic wards of the bugs and the vodka lights up (me) and the area. :thumbsup: :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:36 pm

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:

I just bought a pair of propane powered tiki torches. I always liked how they look at a campsite but never wanted to haul them around because of the smell and spill potential. I saw these and had to have them. They are pretty spendy as far as tiki torches go, but not having to worry about spilling that kerosene is worth it.

The box says that it will burn for 8 hours on a 1#can. I tested this and found that a refilled can (using HF refiller) lasted for 5 hours.

The purpose of the TIKI light is to #1 light up the area plus #2 ward of bugs. (or visa versa)

My solution is Garlic pills and a strong vodka or Rum and Coke. The garlic wards of the bugs and the vodka lights up (me) and the area. :thumbsup: :thinking:

Those propane powered tiki torches have citronela inserts for them. Haven't tried them yet, I'll wait till I'm camping for that.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:53 pm

Kens wrote:Only spent 3 nights in our TD. Have a porch light on each side switched inside. We never used them. side note We found out all our interior lights are toooo bright need to tone them down.

Kens, I know what you mean. I switched to 7watt (110v) night lights for my interior (that's about all I use at night) plus a halogen indirect light under the rear shelf, plus a 12v over head light under the front closet. Of course I don't use them all at once, but they are available it lots of light is needed. :thumbsup:
it's amazing how bright the 7 watt light seems at 2am. :thinking:
Outside I use two 7 watt (110v) night lights.Image :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Kens » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:01 pm

All my lights are 12v inside and out. I hope I can find bulbs to tone them down. May have to experiment and make LED replacements for the bulbs. Got to do something? :thinking:
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:03 am

Julie:
I have used 4watt 110 with a jump-start battery ( remember "Beaver Bend" air compressor I used; the same one ) with a 140watt (Harbor Freight laptop inverter) inverter. I have used it in power outages at the house in the past. They last a couple of days without recharging the battery (7 AH) before the inverter kicks out from low voltage. I know why use a 110v a/c light when you can use 12 L.E.D.'s answer Wal-mart have them on a card in the light bulb section of the store "CHEAP". You can use them at home for night area way lights ( they last a long time ( longer than the D.C. kind < turn the bulb around longer life>). :D
;)
Cheaper and more numerous fixtures???? :thinking:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:22 am

For exterior area lighting, I use the 12V light bulbs that looks like a standard 110 bulb (screw in base) in a clamp-on socket with reflector. I rigged a short extension cord with a set of jumper clips in place of the plug to clip onto my 12v battery. You can also rig one with a 12v plug on the plug end to stick into a 12v lighter/power socket. Then, add another extension cord the length you need to reach the area you want lighted. The light fixture can be clipped onto the frame of your canopy if you use one over your picnic table, or onto a pole stuck in the ground. The bulbs come in 25 and 50 watts and are available at HD and other box stores, as well as at camping supply stores (usually at a higher price). I think WM has them too. I also used these lights for shrimping and night fishing for specks (that's crappie for you nawtheners).
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:54 am

Thanks for all the ideas... I went to the Mobile Mart here in OKC and went ahead and got the traditional rectangle porch light with the amber cover, but also bought the clear cover. At $5 and change , this helps the budget too. I might experiment with the clear cover and an amber bulb to see how that works. I don't really like the look of that amber lens and such on the side of the Jewel Box... I could paint it silver maybe?

I will put mine centered over the door.

I like the look of the rope light around the exterior on the ground, especially when I saw some gold/yellow looking ones (think Jewel Box) and might do that too.

Then my neighbor had brought home his 30' bumper pull to get ready for vacation and it's parked toward the back of his 1/2 acre lot, and he turned that same amber porch light on for me so I could see how much light, bugs etc it has.

I went out there about 11 pm last night, it's under several trees, lots of stuff along the fence, and very dark back there -- should have attracted several bugs to a light but I didn't see any.

Thanks for all the input!!! :applause:

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:35 pm

Can thank my porch light for one of the neatest moments. Had turned in for the night and suddenly heard what sounded like soft rain, looked outside and it was snowing like a blizzard!!! This was late March in TN. Snow wasn't expected and it only came down for 2-3 minutes, but it was beautiful while it lasted. Would never have seen it without the porch light. :thumbsup:
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:45 am

oklahomajewel wrote: I might experiment with the clear cover and an amber bulb to see how that works.
julie

Dear Julie,

Most amber bulbs like the ones they sell at wal-mart are for turn signals and are pretty high wattage, they could melt the clear plastic cover and distort the light housing.... I did that and had to buy new porch lights. RV stores carry lower wattage amber bulbs.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:11 am

Our WalMarts have some RV bulbs in their camping stuff (in the Auto department, not the sporting goods area), but not sure if they have amber. I'm going to WM today, I'll look to see (if I can remember). I bought the amber lensed lite for my outside. It may be too "amber". I haven't even checked it outside at night yet to see.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:20 am

Where do you get those propane tiki torches? I've never seen them.

Although I put porch lamps on mine (the kid loves playing with them in the boatyard), I think I'd like to have a few of those torch lamps. Does it emit a flame, or light, like a lantern?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby SteveH » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:45 am

About the amber light....you can also paint the inside of the fixture lens with yellow paint and it will do the same thing. Afterall, the amber bulbs are just standard bulbs that have been dipped in yellow paint.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:53 am

I like the look of the clear lens better too so I bought the replacement lens.

I saw at Knob Noster, exminnesotaboy put an amber light in his galley light fixture, so if they were making a late night snack with that light on it would help keep bugs away from the galley area. Don't know if he really tried it out or the results.

I was at WW yesterday and noticed the tiny rv supply area. Did find the kind of 12v receptacle I was looking for but didn't notice amber bulbs.

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion