Porch light opinion

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby asianflava » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:41 pm

Ira wrote:Where do you get those propane tiki torches? I've never seen them.

Although I put porch lamps on mine (the kid loves playing with them in the boatyard), I think I'd like to have a few of those torch lamps. Does it emit a flame, or light, like a lantern?

I've seen them at Wal-Mart and Target. But only at one out of the 3 Wal-Marts that I shop at. They emit an actual yellow flame when lit. There is a Citronella ring that you can insert in the base to help keep bugs away.

Here is a pic where you can see my porch light. It has a switch on it so you can't turn it on from inside. The amber lens doesn't attract most bugs probably 90%. There are still a few that still come around. I got them for $5ea from some guy on eBay.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:26 pm

Yeah, but look at all the other "killers" it attracts! :lol: Ain't kampin fun?
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:11 am

Ira, Harbor Freight has the tiki torch in a solar LED. Click this link and enter tiki in the keyword area.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItemList.do
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:27 am

Weird...

I see the item, but it didn't give a price. (Maybe it's my browser? Safari.)

I think I would prefer to have a true flame, though. And the problem with solar is that for our usage, it's not like we're going to be storing them outside to charge.

I DO like the fact that those extend from 19" to whatever. If I didn't already have porch lamps, at 19" long, those would be nice to insert into a holder in the side of the TD.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:10 am

Okay my next option would be to get a wooden cutout of a diamond shape and nest it around the porch light kinda like exminnesotaboy did on his with a turtle shape. What kind of light is this though?
This is the only picture I found of his.

Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dhazard » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Oklahomajewel, this is what I got for mine. Backup LED lights for a bigrig. This one is inside over the door, don’t have the sides done just yet will post a pic when I get the siding done.
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby exminnesotaboy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:03 pm

oklahomajewel wrote: What kind of light is this though?

Julie, it was nice meeting you at Knob Knoster! Here is another pic of that light(thanks to davel - he had a better pic than I did)

I can't take credit for the idea of this light. Someone else on this board discovered them and I borrowed the idea. I have done some searches and looked through a few galleries, but no luck in who gets the credit. They are from a company that builds buses and they line the entrance steps. The reason I built the turtle backboard is that they are approximately 1-1/8" deep and I didn't discover them until it was too late to build them in.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby waxtracker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi! I'm just getting started figuring out all the pieces and parts to putting a teardrop together. I"ve bought several plan packages and I've been reading on here for a short while. I just wanted to say that this is what is so great about this site. Little things like porch lights and the brightness of the interior lights are great simple subjects that can trip you up. It's great to be able to pick so many brains in one place! I'll be back with more questions and comments later for sure.

Kerry

Hopefully another Texas teardrop owner soon.
Just beginning to think these things out!
waxtracker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby peggyearlchris » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:25 pm

8) Welcome Kerry.this is a great form.Lots of great talent. I'm new also and starting my build. enjoy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion