Rooftop a/c installed

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby tonyj » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:42 pm

Miriam--sorry I didn't notice your final question. The framing is similar to the vent framing. I added an additional mahogany frame epoxy laminated between the spars to carry the load out toward the walls. The interior bulkhead cabinet frame will add additional support. Too late I realized I should have carried the mahogany completely out to the walls. My full weight on the center of the opening deflected the roof by less than an 1/8 inch. With the A/c weight spread out over a larger are (and less than 2/3 my weight), I haven't measured any deflection at all. My roof spars are 1-1/4 X 1-1/2 cypress, strong and insect and moisture resistant. I figure if my engineering is wrong, the roof should collapse only if I hit a rough bump while driving and not while I am camping.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:54 pm

:lol: :lol:
Tonyj's quote:
I figure if my engineering is wrong, the roof should collapse only if I hit a rough bump while driving and not while I am camping.

Good point! :worship: I have just been told I am trying to frame for a tank by a carpenter so you might have it fine.

It is neat.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tonyj » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Miriam C. wrote::
Good point! :worship: I have just been told I am trying to frame for a tank by a carpenter so you might have it fine.

It is neat.
Miriam

Building beefy isn't light, but it shouldn't break.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby peggyearlchris » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:51 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause: It looks super to me toni. I'm still working on my frame. great job.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Peg
peggyearlchris
500 Club

Postby tonyj » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:14 pm

peggyearlchris wrote::thumbsup: :applause: :applause: It looks super to me toni. I'm still working on my frame. great job.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Peg

Keep welding away--every step forward gets you closer to the end. By the way, did you get your truck replaced? No lingering injuries from your accident?

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Tony,
Wish I had know someone else was gonna use roof air on teardrop. I have a bit of advice. Our ac is 13500 btu and I asked Charles the other day if he can take it out and turn it around ( he looked at me like I had lost my tiny little mind). The vents face the front of the tear as well as do our heads. We had just the fan on low (no cold air) in mountains of New Mexico. I woke up freezing and realized my head was under the covers. I wish the vents were blowing towards the galley. He had vents facing the same direction as our heads on both tears.So, the air blows right down on our heads, turned vents up and the air still came right down on our heads. I'll be sure to be in the shop on the next installation..... :lol:
Wish we had a vent too. It would have been perfect for fresh mountain air. We needed air in cabin as it was too stuffy closed up. and no window to open.
Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 pm

Linda--my ceiling assembly has vents on both ends, so I am hoping I don't suffer from freezer head during the night. I am fruther hoping that the lower btu of this unit will keep it from just being a freezer. I won't be able to work on it this weekend, but the following weekend, I plan to sleep in it to see what it is like.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion