Trailer security

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 am

asianflava wrote:I have the Master Lock set , it takes care of everything and you only have to keep track of one key.

Asianflava

Would you have a photo of the system you have conected up? Let me see if I can get a photo of the one we have here and by no means is it fancy as that... but it works.

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Gage » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:02 am

Hello Courtney.
"you making fun of my new york city bicycle lock? even here, sometimes i'll see a bike messenger sailing past with one of those wrapped around his (or her) waist."
Naw, not me :roll: and San Francisco isn't much better than New York (down town that is). Heck, now days no matter where you park a bike, if it's not locked down to something, it'll disappear.

Are you guys going to be able to make it up to Pamplin Grove?

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Did you change your hair style again?
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BILLYL » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:31 am

George-

No problem with that wheel lock. LAst weekend it rained and it was a simple - to get off.

Works for me

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:01 am

For me…as always…

Style over substance.

You can probably pick this thing with a toothpick, but I'm ordering 6 anyway.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Bodyman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:33 am

[quote]I am more concerned with leaving my teardrop unattended at a park or campground than in my back yard.
Any ideas about that?

Randy

I didn't expect my post to create so much discussion.
I'm not so concerned with someone stealing my tear as with pranksters.
I remember well as a teenager raiding campgrounds and calapsing tents upon sleeping campers. Also my kids are only in there twenties so I know firsthand that young people haven't changed that much. Some would find great fun in relocating a teardrop to the middle of the road or even the middle of a trout stream.
A simple wheel lock would at least deter.

Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:35 am

Bodyman wrote: Some would find great fun in relocating a teardrop to the middle of the road or even the middle of a trout stream.

Ooooooooohhhh...

I take back what I said then:

Chuckle's suggestion about a gun is a GOOD one.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Melvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:21 am

mercy wrote:figure anybody that really wants it will get it no matter what i do to it. *ahem*
;)

Yep, 30 seconds with a rail saw will defeat any of the locks pictured here so far.

Even my method of removing the tongue can be defeated with a piece of chain.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:49 am

Very definately a rail saw would work. I've noticed a lot of people driving around with them in the trunks of their cars, so watch out. :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:00 pm

Chris C wrote:Very definately a rail saw would work. I've noticed a lot of people driving around with them in the trunks of their cars, so watch out. :lol:

Hey! I don't want to be the only one without a rail saw I think I'll order one today, it's only a thousand dollars. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:27 pm

There are only 2 ways for someone to hook up my tear and drive off with it. One would be to have a wooden hitch to afix the wooden tongue to, the other would be to break into the trunk of my car, remove the hitch, slide it into the tear's hitch tube and drive off. Hope it doesn't happen, but having removable hitches on both of my tears give me a feeling of satisfaction when I'm not around.

Roly, remembering that sunny So Calif weather sometimes means 100 degree temps.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:37 pm

I really like that idea, Roly. :thumbsup: I wish I'd incorporated that into my trailer frame. :thinking: I'm not the kind of camper who will be sitting in a lawn chair beside my trailer and calling it a vacation. I'll sleep and eat there, but will be off doing other things. I, too, am concerned about what might happen while away. I'm hoping it's an idea I might retrofit at a later date.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Melvin » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:38 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Hey! I don't want to be the only one without a rail saw I think I'll order one today, it's only a thousand dollars. Danny

We're talking about the determined thief here, go big or go home. :)

Seriously though the saws aren't uncommon, at least around here. Welders, plumbers, pipe fitters, rail crews (obviously), concrete workers, rebar installers, pipeline workers, tow truck drivers, scrappers, bodyshops etc. etc. have them. They are immensely useful in some trades. And you can get basically the same lock busting capability with a $50 4.5-5" angle grinder and some cut off disks, you just need somewhere to plug them in.

A former employer had on two seperate occasions 2 skidoos on a trailer stolen. Both times the thieves just cut right through a) the lock on the yard gate, b) the Grade 70 chain securing the wheels and c) the coupler lock. The second time they also cut the lock out of the man door to the garage the trailer was parked in. The cops figured it took them less than 10 minutes to be motoring down the road.

You want to take steps to discourage the casual thieves but it's not worth getting an ulcer over every possible theft vector.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Italia » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:49 pm

1) Take precaution to protect your teardrop (locks and etc).
2) Make sure your insurance on your teardrop is paid up.
3) Now go and enjoy your camping trip with your teardrop
Italia
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:<snip>
Roly, remembering that sunny So Calif weather sometimes means 100 degree temps.

Only 100 degrees where your at?

Have a good day.

:thinking:
I feel like I'm living in Vegas. 8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Hey, Gage, I don't know where you are in relation to the fires. Hope not close. Our heat index is 106 degrees here with extremely high humidity and we don't even have fires. (thank God!)

Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion