Trailer security

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby sid » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Locks are great to keep an honest person honest.
:cheerswine:
sid n side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:23 pm

this is what i have for mine when its done.
Last edited by CHUCKLEHEAD69 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:23 pm

A gun won't do you a lot of good when you leave it unattended and someone steals your $49 Coleman stove.

And if you catch him, going to JAIL for shooting someone trying to steal a $49 Coleman stove sounds like a brilliant move.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Boodro » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:33 pm

I look at locks as only a device to make someone think about moving on ,to someone that has no lock, or as a device to slow a crook down and make it look like someone is stealing as compared to driving up & hooking up & driving away with no locks at all.( If the crook is hammering on a lock , more people will take notice maybe)
Locks can not stop a thief . Just my 2 sense !
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:54 pm

not gonna really shoot someone for stealing anything.just a joke so calm down.but the pole in the ground is a good idea if u are not able to secure it in a yard or something like that.and if they really want it they will get it.and as for campgrounds u need to watch your stuff. i had more stuff stole there than in the woods.
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:58 pm

took the pic out of post i was joking and after thinking about it it was in bad taste. im sorry. :(Imageyou can always tie it to a tree
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Melvin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:02 pm

Bodyman wrote:I am more concerned with leaving my teardrop unattended at a park or campground than in my back yard.
Any ideas about that?

Randy

If you're building a straight tongue (not A) you can design the tongue to be removable. Makes things hard to steal and you don't have to worry about barking your shins on the coupler when walking around the trailer.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 pm

Boodro wrote:I look at locks as only a device to make someone think about moving on ,to someone that has no lock, or as a device to slow a crook down and make it look like someone is stealing as compared to driving up & hooking up & driving away with no locks at all.( If the crook is hammering on a lock , more people will take notice maybe)
Locks can not stop a thief . Just my 2 sense !

I agree, I am putting security screws on my windows because all someone has to do is unscrew the window to get in. It is more to keep honest people honest. If they really wanted to get inside, they'd just break the window. If that is the case, they must have wanted it more than you did.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:41 pm

GeorgeTelford wrote:Hi
I am with Gage and Ira too, except maybe on the Lo Jack thing, as far as I can tell this is the same as the Tracker devices used in the UK, surely Thieves aint dumb enough to get caught by these in US? they are beatable by any school kid with a basic grasp of electronics total cost $5 max.
Pretty much any lock can be bumped, those barrel locks are even easier.

You are probably right but how many Thieves are going to wonder if there is a device such as a LoJack in, around or under a teardrop. Chances are they'll just hitch up and go. Then when and if they find out, it'll be to late. :yes:

Have a good day.

:thinking:
I don't have any Security devices on any of my cars (just good insurance).
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joseph » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:37 am

CHUCKLEHEAD69 wrote:took the pic out of post i was joking and after thinking about it it was in bad taste. im sorry.

What in the world for? It wasn't in bad taste at all. The only reason I don't carry a handgun when camping in the Adirondacks is that I'm much more likely to encounter one of NYs anti-gun Gestapo than I am a thief or a thug. Elsewhere, I do. And no, I wouldn't shoot somebody for stealing my stove or even my teardrop - it's strictly for self-defense.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I put a standard lock on the hitch. If I were really worried I might lock the safety chains around a tree but I have yet to do so. I figure if there are thieves in the campground, they'd be more likely to break into the "big rigs" (which would be more likely to have valuables in them) than to try to steal a silly little trailer.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby GeorgeTelford » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:41 am

Hi Gage

To defeat LoJack the thief only as to carry a simple device in his pocket, he doesnt actually have to find the LoJack unit.

Hi Boodro

I should post a few video's to show you that in many cases opening the lock is probably quicker ilegally than with the key, I demonstrated to a caravan site owner once how quick it was to get past a locked camper door (actually quicker than inserting the real key and turning. Here is a quick demo of how to defeat a top model shacle lock http://www.zanx.net/pick2.wmv

Those round key security locks (same as on coke and games machines) supposedly have 2 million combinations of key, or a simple pce of cardboard if you know what you are doing.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby bsandey » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:53 am

It really is too bad that we even need to think about something like this. I grew up camping, and we could keep everythings out at the campsite all day and night, and nobody worried about anything being stolen. Now, not only do you need to worry about someone stealing your camp stove, but someone taking your trailer.

Bill
Bill ("Mutt")

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

bsandey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GeorgeTelford » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 am

Hi Bill

I am not sure that you do need to be worrying that much, people on forums in the UK seem to be crime mad, but actual incidents seem to be very rare.

Taking simple precautions will stop most of it, the only reason I made the post showing how easy it is to bypass security, is to stop people spending a fortune on security when at the end of the day a serious thief will breeze past any security if he really wants it.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby bsandey » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:10 am

GeorgeTelford wrote:Hi Bill

I am not sure that you do need to be worrying that much, people on forums in the UK seem to be crime mad, but actual incidents seem to be very rare.

Taking simple precautions will stop most of it, the only reason I made the post showing how easy it is to bypass security, is to stop people spending a fortune on security when at the end of the day a serious thief will breeze past any security if he really wants it.

I wasn't talking about your post, but the whole topic. I agree with taking precautions. I hear more and more about crime in campgrounds, and not just in forums. Twenty years ago, though, you never even heard about it. We would go camping to get away from stuff like that.

Bill
Bill ("Mutt")

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

bsandey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joseph » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:30 am

bsandey wrote:Now, not only do you need to worry about someone stealing your camp stove, but someone taking your trailer.

Actually, I've spent a good deal more time discussing it here than I've ever spent worrying about it.
Twenty years ago, though, you never even heard about it.

Because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I think we hear about a lot more these days in large part because of forums like this. Where once we had a small circle of friends and acquaintances, now we have direct communication with hundreds if not thousands of people across the globe.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion