Filling holes and joints...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Filling holes and joints...

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:20 am

Hey Arne,

Good to hear you got the CPES and the Uniflex 255. I was surprised you didn't get any filler. Are you going to have any holes or joints that need filling? What's your plan to take care of that?

Here's what I used...

Mike...

P.S. I have no affilation with Dr. Rot. I'm just a happy customer!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:36 am

The filling should be minor... I am an airplane modeler and will be using 30 minute epoxy mixed with 'wood flour', mixed to a peanut butter consistency.

I have a few joints, but those will be covered with 2 inch glass cloth and epoxy, feathered on the edges...

None of this is structural, just doing it for joint integrity....

This a.m. I will waste 2 hours fixing a 'problem' I created for myself yesterday where two pieces on the front curve meet. I was tired and rushing and between 2 joists, the curve doesn't match. So I will dremel the narrow piece (12" wide) and refit the curve..... I get very annoyed about doing this, as it was my own fault...

Actually I did the fitting correctly, I just didn't pay attention when brading it in place and I think the joist was a bit twisted.... In any event, a couple of hours down the drain on an already tight schedule.

I didn't post the pic yesterday, but the interior paneling is done. After the fix today, insulation and the outside cover will get started. The shell should be all finished (rough state) tomorrow night.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:00 pm

Inside roughed in, vent hole cut, wiring in place, ditto insulation... outer skin tomorrow..... pics in album.... I'm trying real hard... and actually lost a few pounds... the Tear Drop Diet....

Forgot to mention, knees hurt, neck hurts, back hurts... lots of fun.. really. Now I get that martini..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:06 pm

Whoa! That's really nice! Looks like you have a mission :wink:
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Arne » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:10 pm

Steve, sorry I won't get to Newfoundland, but not only do I have to finish the tear, I have to wrap up everything else to be gone a month.... I have a friend going, named Phyllis (who is building a Chesapeake Light Craft 'yak) and I asked her to say hello if she sees you..

Sounds like a great place to be this time of year. (especially in a tear drop).....

-----

The molding I used came from home depot. Some type of fake stuff, cheap at less than $2.95/8 ft. and bends very nicely... First I thought I was going to have to buy 'real wood' at 60-75 cents a foot...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:26 pm

Arne, I usually take ton's of pics over the weekend. I'll probably put an album up on my site. I'll let you know when. Tell Phyllis to look for the teardrop, Michael is having me show the Stripper as a special interest project. How cool is that?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:30 pm

Steve Frederick wrote: Michael is having me show the Stripper as a special interest project. How cool is that?

Steve is famous. He get's his 5 minutes in the limelight! LOL... Congrats Steve. After all the hard work you did on that, you earned it. I wish you well. Enjoy it!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion