Air Conditioning Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Air Conditioning Question

Postby ae6black » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm

I have been thinking about getting fancy regarding the placement of an Air conditioner underneith the TD and running hoses up on the outside for cold air as well as return air to AC unit. Then it struck me, I could cut a hole in my back wall in the cabin between my cabin and the galley and just mount a small unit there. I'd just have to place my Microwave somewhere else when the AC is installed (yes I use a Microwave for reheating food that I've previously cooked in the DO's, I am a guy, I am lazy, and I am old and feel that this entitles me to have a microwave on board during the freezing temps of Deer Season when I don't want to mess with a stove, also I like my microwave popcorn and so does the dog). This would actually be quite simple to do as I have electric service available on either side so everything is already in place. My question for those who have mounted their AC in the galley area, do you leave your hatch up all of the time when the AC is running or did you do something else for makeup air, and water drainage of the AC unit. Curious what others have done. Most of the year, I probably wouldn't even have the AC with me as most of my camping in the TD is done in cold weather. Having the controls of a AC unit available in the cabin would be an advantage to my way of thinking.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: Air Conditioning Question

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:24 pm

When I had mine in the galley, I always had the hatch up when running it. I've switched to the hose method. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561. Personally I think you will be happier with the hose setup.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Tom when you had your AC in the Galley, how much water did the thing make? I was planning on a cookie sheet with about 1/2 inch sides on it to hold the water dripping off the unit. I decided to go with the galley at this time for placement of the AC just for ease of installation and the ability to get to the controls. If I don't like it there, I can go the hose route with placement of the AC under the unit. A simple cover or something can easily be put over the hole when the AC is removed for the winter. I was just thinking for ease of movement and setting up the campsite, having it installed in the galley would be more feasible for me at this time. Really won't know until I try it.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

ae6black wrote:Tom when you had your AC in the Galley, how much water did the thing make? I was planning on a cookie sheet with about 1/2 inch sides on it to hold the water dripping off the unit. I decided to go with the galley at this time for placement of the AC just for ease of installation and the ability to get to the controls. If I don't like it there, I can go the hose route with placement of the AC under the unit. A simple cover or something can easily be put over the hole when the AC is removed for the winter. I was just thinking for ease of movement and setting up the campsite, having it installed in the galley would be more feasible for me at this time. Really won't know until I try it.

Art

None, but I live in the land of low humidity.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Kim Armstrong » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Check out Swiss teardrop build. Sounds like what you are wanting to do. Nice setup.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:20 am

Kim Armstrong wrote:Check out Swiss teardrop build. Sounds like what you are wanting to do. Nice setup.

Do you mean Planovet's Lil Swiss Teardrop? Fantastic tear. He routed the heat from the condenser coil downward to save galley space. I don't recall what he did with the condensate.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:55 pm

ae6black wrote:Tom when you had your AC in the Galley, how much water did the thing make? I was planning on a cookie sheet with about 1/2 inch sides on it to hold the water dripping off the unit. I decided to go with the galley at this time for placement of the AC just for ease of installation and the ability to get to the controls. If I don't like it there, I can go the hose route with placement of the AC under the unit. A simple cover or something can easily be put over the hole when the AC is removed for the winter. I was just thinking for ease of movement and setting up the campsite, having it installed in the galley would be more feasible for me at this time. Really won't know until I try it.

Art
  • Thinking similarly as you, as I highlighted the quoted sentence in blue from your earlier posting, I also planned on using a cookie sheet to catch drainage from my galley-mounte A/C unit, but decided instead, to form mine from plywood and Plasti-Dip (rubberized spray coating). I constructed an angled top on a cubical cover over my Aquatainer, sitting on the shelf under the A/C. I used the Plasti-Dip to waterproof the top piece of plywood, and formed edges on the front and sides (about 1/2" on the sides, and 3/4" in front) by spraying some Plasti-Dip in progressively taller layers, until sufficient height was attained. I used two cans of the spray rubber (any brand of spray-on rubber coating, like Flexidip or the Rustoleum rubber spray, can be used and formed to do this). once completed and assembled, the rough-looking home-made drip pan is mostly hidden under my ducting, and is barely noticeable (I like the textured surface look, anyway).
  • Once installed on the galley shelf, and after checking that the Aquatainer fit, as designed, I then made drain hose that I attached to the drip pan. I used a rubber 3/8" I.D. hose I had in my parts bin, and used hose-barb brass fittings on both ends (one screwed into and glued to a hole drilled into the lowest part of the angled drip pan, and another to the other end of the 30" long hose, where it emerges thru the galley floor).
  • As my quoted post below states, my drip pan work was for nought, as my LG air conditioner never drips! but, if I ever need to swap it out for an A/C that actually drips, it's ready to catch it. Besides, the box holds the Aquatainer very nicely, even if it resides there during travel.
  • 125895 a place for everything, and everything in its' place!
from a previous thread on the same subject:
working on it wrote:
  • Some A/C units use up most, or all, of the condensation water produced by the cooling process, to cool the hot condenser for better performance. I use several different window A/C units at home, and some drip water in abundance, others do not. My two Frigidaire 15100 btu units practically gush water from the rear, my Frigidaire 10000 btu unit produces little excess (you can hear the water slinging inside the unit), and the LG 8000 btu unit uses up all the water, while self-cooling. My TTT uses a LG 5000 btu unit (LW5012J), that also uses all the condensate, and never has produced excess. I built a drain/drip pan in my galley,just in case it would have excess drainage, but hasn't needed it yet (I hadn't tested before I constructed the drain pan and hose, but it is also used in my exhaust duct system, anyway). I chose the trailers' A/C because I knew the LG wouldn't create a messy excess (my large Frigidaires do), so I chose it. Mine had a sealed pan under it, while its' sister model utilized a drain.
  • Drip pan and stand.png
    Drip pan and stand.png (612.54 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
    red=drain/drip pan; blue=drain hose to ground
  • drain pan variations.png
    drain pan variations.png (185.07 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
    practically identical, but one has no need for a drain hole
  • There are many other models out there, some with drains and others without, but if your A/C is internally-mounted, like my trailer's unit, then a drainage system might be needed, in case of excessive water, beyond what the unit needs for self-cooling.
  • reason for no drain hole.PNG
    reason for no drain hole.PNG (66.14 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
    copied off the internet
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kim Armstrong » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm

That's the one Sparksalot.. sorry. His build is on littleswissteardrop.com. I think the condensate just runs out the bottom.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:14 pm

I couldn't recall where his build thread was. Great tear to see in person if you ever get the chance.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

One thing to remember sitting on the ground very little transmitted sound.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:One thing to remember sitting on the ground very little transmitted sound.

Mine sits on the tongue box, but same deal. Suuuuper quiet.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques