Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Doors

Postby kayak-camper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi,

I'm slowly working out how i'm going to build my camper but the one thing i'm most worried about is doors and sealing them properly.

I'll be using plywood and PMF and I think I'd like to use method 1 shown here - https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Bu ... ations.jpg

I like that the door is flush with the seals well out of the wind and rain

Things I'm not sure about....

what kind of glue should I use to stick in the seal? it'll have to stick the the exterior paint on the pmf.

The lock, what kind of lock would you use for this? It'd have to be internal right? Would I need to add a spacer for the lock to clear the inner frame that holds the seal?

Finally, the seals themselves, they come in a bewildering array of shapes, I was thinking just a sort of squashy D shaped tube would do.

Thanks for any advice!
kayak-camper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Doors

Postby exminnesotaboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I did the #3 method on my first tear and will use the same tear two. I liked the minimal trim on the inside of the sleeping area. I don’t think that way is the best, but it worked for me and sealed up well.

For the weatherstripping, I use the D shaped stuff with the peel n stick adhesive on the back. Works great and no messy glue needed. I stuck my seals to the aluminum trim on the door, not the alum sides of the tear.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:23 pm

I used method #1 except the 1/4" plywood flange is flush with the inner walls and the door is thinner than the walls so it's flush with the wall on the outside. I used sticky back foam seals. Make sure you angle the bottom sill so water can drain. I used 5 degrees but would use more if I did it again. The gap needs to be about 3/8" or surface tension will hold water there and eventually swell the door. I started with about a 1/4" gap and had to redo the door bottom when that happened to me.

This is what I did for for the handles. Almost flush on the outside and functional if not particularly good looking on the inside. The door is 1/4" ply on both sides with a solid wood perimeter and foam insulation covered with PMF.

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kayak-camper » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:03 am

Thanks guys, good to hear self backing seal works ok.

Great photos too, i hadn't even thought about how big the gap should be or slopes for drainage.

Did you wrap the PMF around the back of your doors? That's what i'm planing to do at the moment, not sure how clean it'll look though. I might lay a thin veneer over it to cover it up on the inside.
kayak-camper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:26 am

Since my trailer is a foamy, it has PMF on all surfaces.

I guess I would cover the door with PMF to seal the edges and affix a wood panel on the inside to match the interior if it was wood.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:44 pm

The photo isnt working? Can you post it again?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby dancam » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 pm

I did my doors a little different. Check out post #120,124,127 and 142 of my buiod thread for photos of how i did it.
Plywood frame, foam core, plywood skin. Painted same as canvass. Worked very well. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=66816Image

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques