Hurricane hinge type?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hurricane hinge type?

Postby Twalt87 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:46 pm

I know this has been asked alot, but alot of the links posted are deleted or the sites are gone.

The difference between offset and flat hurricane hinges. Which is more work? do either look better or worse?
My wood working skills are basic but im learning. Is one alot more difficult to install then the other? does one seal better?

Any pics showing each?
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hurricane hinge type?

Postby Esteban » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:35 am

Twalt87 wrote:I know this has been asked alot, but alot of the links posted are deleted or the sites are gone.

The difference between offset and flat hurricane hinges. Which is more work? do either look better or worse?
My wood working skills are basic but im learning. Is one alot more difficult to install then the other? does one seal better?

Any pics showing each?

Here are several sources to buy a hurricane hinge:
1) https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/hi ... -trim.html
2) https://www.tcteardrops.com/ sells hurricane hinges with a built-in rain gutter. You may need to call them to order one.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=64447
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am

Why ?

Under this is two plain jane butt hinges. No worry about fatigue failures in my life time ! Never a leak and never a problem.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GrantRobertson » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:14 pm

bobhenry wrote:Under this is two plain jane butt hinges. No worry about fatigue failures in my life time ! Never a leak and never a problem.

What type of material is that? Is it plain rubber? EPDM? Vinyl?

Where did you get it?

Did you use a sealant under it? Or does it seal itself, like a gasket, under that strip of aluminum?
GrantRobertson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rkanz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 am

I used plastic hinge. https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/hi ... -trim.html
You need to use aluminum bar stock to attach the hinge. I drilled holes every 4 inches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:44 am

I put a plastic hinge on my tongue box and replaced it after three (or four ?) years with a skinny hurricane hinge. I bought the plastic one from McMaster-Carr so it might be different than the one that "Frank Bear" is selling. It was supposedly UV resistant.

Hopefully, RKANZ's install with the aluminum bars prevents failure. It sure looks clean.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Twalt87 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Going to revive my old post as I feel it wasn't answered fully and I have more questions anyways.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Kd4kcDX
I am using the guide above. His build cuts out a 2 inch notch from the wall and attaches it to the hatch door. Does that mean he's using a normal hurricane hinge and not the offset one?

If I was to get the offset hinge, what would I do different then his guide shows?
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm with Bob above. I used heavy duty EPDM roofing I got off Ebay. You buy it by the foot and it is 10 foot long. I think it was around $12.00 And a 3" aluminum piano hinge.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Twalt87 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 pm

I appreciate the reply but again this isn't related to what I asked. I asked about the aluminum hurricane hinges, not what an alternative is.

I know there is most likely nothing functionally wrong with that hinge above. No offense here but I don't like the look of it.
Twalt87
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 am

On the 6 teardrops I've built I used the HT06 Flat Hurricane Hinge that's listed in the above post by Esteban.
I haven't had any problems with it since I order it 2" longer than the full width of the teardrop for a 1"overhang on each side for runoff.
Given the nature of the 2 part hinge I place a "D" shaped piece of seal on the left/hatch side so water doesn't flood the hinge when open in the rain even with a canopy.
I found out if the TD isn't perfectly leveled the low side will flood the hinge and dribble down the interior galley walls, that seal fixes that problem.
Someone other than myself came up with that idea. :thumbsup:
This style of hurricane hinge does require the walls to be offset approx. 5/16" lower from where the hinge mounts to the threshold.
As far as which is easier, that is up to you to decide as most of us go with one style and stick with it.
Good luck with your build. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby RootsandShoots » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Danny, I realize this is a very old post but do you remember where you picked up that d-shaped gasket and how you were able to get it to hold itself into place? I'm just no researching how to get my hurricane hinge not to leak with the hatch is up in the rain.

Thanks!
RootsandShoots
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 04, 2019 7:30 am

RootsandShoots wrote:Danny, I realize this is a very old post but do you remember where you picked up that d-shaped gasket and how you were able to get it to hold itself into place? I'm just no researching how to get my hurricane hinge not to leak with the hatch is up in the rain.

Thanks!

I get it on Amazon. Rubber D seal. It has adhesive on it.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques