Sawing A Tear In Half

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Sawing A Tear In Half

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Has anyone sawed a tear in half to go from 4' to 5'? How would one go about this? I have some ideas but there are some clever people on this site and they might have better ways to go about this. And I know it is a crazy stupid idea but I could really use a 5 footer.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Sawing A Tear In Half

Postby OP827 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:45 pm

I have not seen such a thing done on this board, but I am relatively new here. I think it is possible, if really wanted. Depends on what the structure and budget are.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Its easy, just cut in half, glue, weld seal a 1 foot section in the middle.

Then start over when it leaks and falls apart. Or save a step and sell the 4 foot wide one and start a new one.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:14 pm

I had been thinking the same thing. Probably easier to do with my square foamy than a wood teardrop but I came to the conclusion it would be better to build a new one.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:44 pm

You could use same trailer and overlap 6" all 4 sides and do a bigger build and sell the old shell.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:53 pm

I have been here awhile and not seen anyone even ask that question.

It would be extremely difficult for a number of reasons. Think about cutting a wooden chair to make it wider, except much bigger.

First, assuming a home made, there are no plans for where everything is -- in particular wiring, cross supports, and cabin to trailer connections. It more elaborate, plumbing or ducting.

Second, cutting the roof and base would require some construction technique to re-establish the structural integrity. The inner and outer roof are part of what makes the unit hold together. If the TD has a hatch, you most likely will have to rebuilt due to various things eg the hinge being the wrong size, placement of tail lights.

Third, you might/will have to separate the base from the trailer to replace the trailer or recenter the cabin. Again without plans, it might be difficult to locate the bolts. Even with detailed plans, removing and replacing bolts/fastners securing the cabin might be a challenge. There might be issues with the wheel wells unless you are replacing the trailer too.

Fourth, any shelves and/or cabinets might have to be rebuilt. Many shelves go into the wall/dados making putting them back in a bit tricky.

Fifth, wiring might have to be adjusted to deal with side to side feeds eg pouch lights, switches, fan position.

Sixth, there will be some cosmetic issues eg extra seams inside and outside, cripples, overhead pieces are not centered
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:12 pm

I don't doubt it can be done.
I always believe anything can be done if you want it bad enough and have enough opportunity, time and money.

Part of my job is assessing risk versus reward.
Here's my assessment of this idea.
Possible? Yes.
Complexity of task? High.
Likelihood of good outcomes in aesthetics, structural integrity, longevity, functionality? Low.
Cost in time? High.
Cost in money? High.
Likely risk/reward outcome v. building a new teardrop? Poor.

My recommendation - do not proceed with this project.
If you already have a 4 footer, use it for R&R breaks while you build a 5 footer, then sell the 4 footer.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:58 pm

:shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Yep not a question I have seen. Esthetically you could convert it into a trolley top, but yes you might be money and effort ahead to start over. In the discussion over size I have often heard, they wish they had a 5 or 6 wide and no one that had one wish they had a 4 wide except for one individual who did not want he wife to come with him.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:18 pm

I admit, housebound and it's winter in Ohio, I can go a bit crazy.

The floor could use a 1 foot wide 3/4" plywood piece glued into the cut. A thin ply top and bottom would be a strong sandwich floor. Strong? It's done all the time with foam. I'd use 1x4's over the cross members of the trailer frame screwed up into the camper floor.

The roof could be done in a similar manner although rib connectors screwed into the original ribs would be needed for extra strength.

I think the easiest way to deal with a roof vent is to offset the cut to the side of the vent

I have a simple square back hatch so that is easy to remake into a 5 footer.

Well, don't worry folks, I'm never going to make this. Fun mind experiment.

Merry Christmas,

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:36 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Yep not a question I have seen. Esthetically you could convert it into a trolley top, but yes you might be money and effort ahead to start over. In the discussion over size I have often heard, they wish they had a 5 or 6 wide and no one that had one wish they had a 4 wide except for one individual who did not want he wife to come with him.

You had to say trolley top...now I'll have to start thinking about widening my foamie again.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques