Cubby walls 3/8 or 1/2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Cubby walls 3/8 or 1/2

Postby nickster60 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:44 am

I went ot the home store and looked at the plywood. 3/8 seems pretty thin what did you guys use

Nick
nick
nickster60
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:54 am

The only problem I could see with 3/8 ply is that I don't recall ever seeing a flat sheet of that stuff once it's left that stack, sometimes before. Might make it a bit tough to work with.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:18 am

I think I used 5/16" on my cubby and yes, I was concerned about the "lack of rigidity" but the framing, interior skin, insulation, and exterior aluminum brings the wall thickness to well over an inch and makes everything feel pretty solid. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Re: Cubby walls 3/8 or 1/2

Postby Geron » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:42 am

nickster60 wrote:I went ot the home store and looked at the plywood. 3/8 seems pretty thin what did you guys use

Nick

3/8"
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TomS » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:03 pm

I'm using 3/8
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:37 pm

I'm using 3/8 because that's what the Cubby plans say--and that's what Tom is using.

But what the heck is ACX? Home Depot in FL here never heard of it, and only has DCX, the stuff used for roofing.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Geron » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:04 pm

IraRat wrote:I'm using 3/8 because that's what the Cubby plans say--and that's what Tom is using.

But what the heck is ACX? Home Depot in FL here never heard of it, and only has DCX, the stuff used for roofing.

Rat,

ACX is the better grade of plywood sanded one side with minimum imperfections.

I used BCX which is the next grade down - Sanded one side with more imperfections. You're gonna cover it with something so if figure - what's the diff?

Never heard of DCX. must be awful rough stuff :( I"d at least look for BCX. Should find that anywhere.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:08 pm

...ifTom jumped off of a bridge????? ;) But seriously, go find a differnet sales person at HD and report the one who knows absolutely nothing...ACX is COMMON, the A means sanded smooth with no voids and clean grains on one side, sanded with any voids filled on other and the X stands for exterior glue
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm telling you--I looked. And plywood isn't something easily overlooked.

Maybe it's a South Florida thing, but I'll look again. I already bought the floor piece, and with everthing else we're doing with this stuff, does it matter?

Also, maybe this has SOMETHING to do with the millions of pieces of plywood sold here months back for the impending hurricanes. I have a Lowes a little further away than my Home Depot, but I would hate to go there unless really necessary.

My favorite bar is closer to the Home Depot.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:34 pm

Just get to the stuff that says it's sanded or something like that. You are going to cover it on both sides and that will keep it protected from the elements. (that is the only real concern here - moisture) All plywood is made with water resistant glue these days unless it specifically states that it is for interior use only. Any plywood that is used in construction of exterior walls and or roofs should be fine for your teardrop.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:26 pm

madjack wrote:...ifTom jumped off of a bridge????? ;)

Wow! I didn't know I had that much influence.

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:37 am

TomS wrote:
madjack wrote:...ifTom jumped off of a bridge????? ;)

Wow! I didn't know I had that much influence.

HAH!!!!!!

Who needs Disneyworld when I have this web site!?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby DestinDave » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:35 am

Rat... HD and Lowe's both carry 3/8" in what they call AC Sanded, BC Sanded, and Sandeply... Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:54 am

DestinDave wrote:Rat... HD and Lowe's both carry 3/8" in what they call AC Sanded, BC Sanded, and Sandeply... Dave

Thanks for the info. I went there yesterday, but not to pick up the wall ply yet. I already used the 1/2" of the rough stuff for the deck, which like already said here, is covered with goo on one side anyway, and covered INSIDE as well.

I'm gonna use the good grade 3/8 for sides, even though it will be skinned anyway. Who needs a knot hole exactly where you want to place that screw?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques