WAHOO . IM PICKING UP MY OLD POP-UP TODAY

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

WAHOO . IM PICKING UP MY OLD POP-UP TODAY

Postby bigmcgiv » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:56 am

YES I WAS GIVEN A OLD POP-UP A CO-WORKER NEIGHBOR HAS IN HIS BACK YARD AND HASNT USED IN 3 YEARS. THE CANVAS WAS SHOT. HOPEFULLY I COULD USE THE FRAME AND SOME OF THE PARTS TO DO MY TEAR. WISH ME LUCK. TKS MATT PS THIS FORUM IS GREAT :thumbsup:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:08 am

Congratulations thar Biggy,, I remember the day well when I dragged my aged popup home and started ripping the whole thing apart,, ya get a few parts such as stove, tank mount, few hinges, and maybe a light or two but pretty much everything else will go to the scrap pile,, When ya get it down to bare frame then the fun really starts,, cutting the frame,, rewelding, and then the grinder,, man I like using a grinder,, sparks everywhere, And then four months later I had a teardrop. good luck on the build,, I have a build record of pictures I will send ya if you are interested

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bigmcgiv » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:36 am

:thumbsup: COOL PLEASE DO .sry about the caps . my e-mail is [email protected]
just mark the file teardrop .tks
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:04 am

Matt,

Take a photo or two of the bare pop-up frame when you get down that far, and length and width measurements - it will add to my collection of odd sources of information for trailer designs. There's enough trailers here built on old pop-up frames that we ought to have a set of plans just for that!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bigmcgiv » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:13 am

COOL .WILL DO . IM GOING TO HAVE TONS OF PICS.SEE I USE TO BE A FINISH CARPENTER FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS AND LOOKING FORWAR TO DOING THIS PROJECT
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Another popup camper "recycled"

Postby Marty » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:46 am

Hey guys,

I've been a lurker mostly on this forum since Sept. 04. and have got the old camper removed from the frame. The extended Benroy design is ready but we need some TIME to be able to start the project. In the meantime I've also disassembled a pickup camper got a nice oven/stove combination, sink, water tank, windows, cushions, electrical breaker panel and converter. Andrew you are correct that old popup campers make nice platforms for teardrops. Sort of like recycling a trailer. I'm not the best at taking electronic pictures and posting them but I'll give it a try.
First order of business is to get the trailer down the road to the welding shop to see if Charlie can enlarge the wheel wells for the larger wheels and tires I plan to use.
Frame modification goal by next weekend. Right.

Marty
The four most expensive words in renovation are: "While we're at it..."
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby bigmcgiv » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:15 pm

well i just got the pop-up it 6x8 the axle looks to be 4 foot span. im going to tear into iit tommorow and ill get some pic too it a old palamino . looks like im going to wideding and streching it also . wish me luck. tks matt :thumbsup:
bigmcgiv
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques