losing weight

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

losing weight

Postby focus40mpg » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:12 am

:thinking: I am still in the dreaming/planning phase. I am wondering about construction of something about 5ft x10ft. I admire many of woodsided beauties,but departing from traditional designs I am considering building something lightweight but strong but,not too exotic. I have seen some small buildings made from aluminum/styrofoam/aluminum laminate panels about 1.5 inches thick. Asking for ideas,warnings,sources,etc.
focus40mpg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:07 pm

I'm not familar with those aluminum panels you are talking about... I have seen SIPS, structural insulate panels. I've even seen homemade ones, constructed from 1/4" luan and 3/4" insulation.

Yes, I think that would work fine if you plan ahead for all the details...

I built up some stick built walls for the weekender... the end result would have been similar to a SIP. But I had the wood backing where it was needed. With a SIP you would have to add wood backing after the fact, and that, is a bit more difficult.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby focus40mpg » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:39 pm

:duh After looking on the net some,I ran across www.strongerlighter.com . They describe what I had in mind but,all of this makes me realize that it is something I could achieve myself with the correct materials,and that this something that many are probably already doing. They call them sandwich panels. I recently heard/saw/dreamt an RV maker has a line using them maybe Jayco. Anyway I can see how some of these ideas can snowball. Maybe this isn't a first project type thing. :?
focus40mpg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:01 pm

One problem that I can see with usign pre made panels is that you need some kind of "stud" to attach shelves, cabinets, and doors to. You will also need to find a way to "closeout" the edges.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

weight loss

Postby focus40mpg » Sun May 01, 2005 4:52 am

:thinking: Yes, closing in the edges and any additional framing would lead me back to tradional construction which maybe could be enhanced by fitting a strong foam material closely and gluing it all up as a "sandwich"prefab style before attaching the sides. Carefully done a person might gain enough rigidity to be able to use thinner materials.
It is possible to choke on food for thought.
focus40mpg
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques