Finishing Northern Tool Fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Finishing Northern Tool Fenders

Postby IraRat » Tue May 03, 2005 8:39 am

Received my Northern Tool fenders yesterday. (Pretty surprised at the quality for just 25 bucks each.) They say they're paintable right out of the box, because of something they do to the surface.

But do you think that's REALLY true?

I was thinking of using that exterior Flex Stone stuff in a spray can. (Rustoleum makes one, too.) It gives like a textured sand or stone finish, which you then overseal with their protectant coating.

Think it'll hold up?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Tue May 03, 2005 8:44 am

Don't know if it will hold up, but I bet that that finish will look great!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Tue May 03, 2005 9:19 am

That's really great stuff. I used it on one of my electric guitars, and although I'm not using that in the elements, the specs say it's okay for outdoor use when sealed.

I guess if it gets a chip, it's no big deal to give it a quick spray fix. It's a very forgiving finish.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Tue May 03, 2005 9:25 am

...Ira, if'n it were me, regardless of what "they" said, I would wash the fender down with lacquer thinner, scuff and prime with an ACID ETCH PRIMER, (available at all auto paint supply and most auto parts houses) before applying any type of finish
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Tue May 03, 2005 11:28 am

That's why I asked. Thanks, Mad.

Is the lacquer thinner is to clean any oil/grease on there? And when you say scuff, you mean a light sand?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby BILLYL » Tue May 03, 2005 12:11 pm

You gotta agree with Madjack. The lacquer thiner to cut any grease - you coould use some naptha- some sort of solvent. Lightly sand the fender - 320 grit and then the acid etch primer - give the syrface some "Tooth".

I also make guitars and finish and restore the vintage ones - Great hobby and puts a few bucks in the pocket...............

BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Tue May 03, 2005 1:23 pm

BILLYL wrote:You gotta agree with Madjack. The lacquer thiner to cut any grease - you coould use some naptha- some sort of solvent. Lightly sand the fender - 320 grit and then the acid etch primer - give the syrface some "Tooth".

I also make guitars and finish and restore the vintage ones - Great hobby and puts a few bucks in the pocket...............

BILL

Making a guitar from scratch has to be more intense than making a TD!

All I did was take an inexpensive Fender Squier Tele, swap out the machines/tuners for Grovers, the pickups for Seymour Duncans, changed the pickguard, and refinished.

A cheap guitar made alive again! (I'm basically an acoustic guy, but I had to have at least ONE electric in my arsenal.)
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Tue May 03, 2005 11:17 pm

billyl said;

You gotta agree with Madjack. The lacquer thiner to cut any grease - you coould use some naptha- some sort of solvent. Lightly sand the fender - 320 grit and then the acid etch primer - give the syrface some "Tooth".

...I say EGGZACTLY
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby len19070 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:56 am

If any item I buy has in the instructions or description the words "simply", "Quick & East", "ready to" or "Just" in the right context. I get scared. Prepping them your self is good advise. I've painted Northern fenders in the past and I always wiped them with Laquer thinner and light sanded them first.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BILLYL » Wed May 04, 2005 5:24 am

And may I add to your list- any book title like - "The Complete....." or "The Comprenshive Guide........." You fill in the blanks

BILL
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques