Wall and roof framing?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby TomS » Thu May 05, 2005 3:40 pm

IraRat wrote:Not according to the Cubby plans:

What you do is notch out your interior 1/8 skin, with a knife/blade, to pass the ends of the spars through. Those ends then butt flush against the exterior walls--where you screw/glue (I think glue) from the outside of the wall into the spar.

Those spars don't touch the framing at all.

I don't have the plans in front of me right now, but I'm 99% sure this is the way.

Yes, that is exactly how the Kuffel Creek plans tell you to do it. Once again a timely thread appears on this forum. I plan to cut my wall skins tommorow.

I question the necessity of extending the interior skin beyond the bottom of the roof spars. It doesn't seem to add any strength to the structure and cuttiing around all those spars seems like a major PITA to me.

I was wondering what if I cut the wall skins flush with the bottom of the spars and attached nailing blocks between the spars that would look something like this.

By the way -- I tried cutting the 1/8 ply for my bulkhead skins wth a utility knife. After the first two cuts I was VERY dissatisfied with the results. It didn't cut cleanly at all. That plywood was too damn expensive and hard to find to hack it up with a razor blade. I made the remaining cuts on my table saw with a carbide plywood/laminate blade. The resulting cuts were much cleaner.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques