Building over tires, how much space?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Building over tires, how much space?

Postby AmyH » Mon May 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Okay, since I have decided to build over the tires I have been trying to figure out how much space I need to leave around the tires. Does anyone know how to figure this out? I am using a #9 Dexter torsion axle with a 0 degree start angle, and I have 15" (?) tires.

Thanks, Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon May 02, 2005 7:30 pm

Amy, I am building my camper over the tires, too. I have leaf springs on my trailer and after I got my floor up there was about 1" between the tire and the floor. It looks too tight so I put some 3/4" spacers under the joists and now it looks alot better. I don't know how much the springs will flex, heck I don't even know how heavy the camper will be. I might use a 1 3/4" spacer just to be safe. I wonder, does a heavier tongue transfer the bounce to the vehicle or the suspension of the trailer?
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Mon May 02, 2005 11:02 pm

When I was building trailers I would generally leave about 3.5-5 inches above the tire for torflex axles, for springs you just measure from the top of the axle (if it's above the spring) to the bottom of the frame and add a 1/2" to that # for fender clearance. You need to be sure that you have a little more clearance between your fender and tire thanthe axles can move up and down otherwise you tend to burn the paint off of the fender when the trailer bounces.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby AmyH » Tue May 03, 2005 11:07 am

Thanks for the tip, as luck would have it I managed to find some literature that came with my axle, and it says that I should leave at least 3" around the tire. I will probably leave a bit more than that just to be on the safe side.

Amy :)
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby purplepickup » Tue May 03, 2005 11:58 am

Amy, just a suggestion.....if the tires will be under your trailer then your bed will probably be on top of the clearance area for your tires. I'm assuming you'll also have a floor between the wheelwells, directly on the trailer frame. If you do, the area under your bed can be used as a good storage spot for things like an EZ-Up canopy, tarps, a spare tire and stuff like that. You might want to take advantage of that and build the bed high enough to fit things like that in.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Tue May 03, 2005 12:14 pm

Good suggestion George, but since I opted to stick with 4X10 ply for the sides, I don't want to lose too much headroom. I am figuring that the footwell area will just be narrower (@48") than the main sleeping area, which I think I can deal with. I am thinking of building some shelving over the tires, facing inward, to put loose items on (ie. books, sunglasses, etc...). The upper cabinets will sit on top of these shelves. I am still thinking that I will eventually build that larger trailer I have been dreaming of (in the other post), so it will be nice to see how yours turns out. I might steal a few ideas from you for my second trailer. ;)

Amy
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Those wheel wells...

Postby Dirtsurfer » Tue May 03, 2005 5:02 pm

Instead of building a floor above the wheel wells, why not use a two piece foam mattress and cut the bottom piece to fit around the wells? The upper would cover up the wells.
Dirtsurfer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WarPony » Tue May 03, 2005 8:29 pm

George, the underfloor storage is what I am doing with my raised floor plan. I am lengthening the tongue this week so I can use the trailer I have now to make my 5'ish X 8 camper (I can't call it a teardrop because it's a rounded simple with a flat back.) I am taking pictures as I go along and will make a Yahoo! portfolio when I get done. Amy, keep up the work on yours. I'd like to see your plans as they come together.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 04, 2005 6:24 am

Or just use 2 different sized cushions. a large one for the front half of the teardrop, and a smaller one inbetween the wheel wells for the back half of the teardrop.

something like this...

Mike...

Okay, I know it doesn't show the two different sizes very well, but it'll have to do until I find another image!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Wed May 04, 2005 2:30 pm

Mike, that is exactly what I am going to do, but I am going to try to see if Knox Foam will do a little custom work; glue the pieces together and make a custom cover that will cover both pieces. Now the only issue is sheets. :)

Amy

BTW Mike, thanks for all of your help with the larger design I was thinking about. I don't want to abandon it, it just looks like I will have to build that one after I build the tear, and I have a little more cashflow.
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 05, 2005 6:19 am

You don't need to have the 2 pieces glued together. Buy two separate cushions with covers, and push them together in the teardrop. You'll never feel the seam. Especially if you go with a grade A medium firm foam! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

wheel clearances

Postby darockrider » Sat May 07, 2005 12:39 am

any reputable axle manufacturer will supply the required clearances for his axle to function properly. I am sure a quick email to Dexter will yield all required info! Don't be afraid to call these suppliers. All the good ones have application engineers who are just waiting to answer questions and offer advice and help you anyway they can. :shake hands:

gerald in Winnipeg
darockrider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mexican tear » Sat May 07, 2005 8:10 am

Do not worry about having your foam cut by someone else. Just get an electric carving knife and go to it.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Mon May 23, 2005 7:38 pm

Amy, this is what I am doing with my trailer. At first I did THIS and then came to where I am NOW.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Tue May 24, 2005 2:19 pm

Looking good WarPony! :thumbsup: I think that I will probably do something similar to what Mike did with his Baja Benroy. I have been crazy busy working on a house rehab with some friends and painting my new front door, so as soon as I get a little free time I am going to hook up the welder and finish the chassis. My original goal for completing the tear has already come and gone :cry: .....but......now I have the goal of completing it before the trip to the Redwoods next year! Hopefully (crossing my fingers here) I can get back to building it soon.

Amy :)
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques