Aluminum slicing

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aluminum slicing

Postby McTeardrops » Sun May 29, 2005 7:50 am

We completed step one from the Lufkin trailer skinning kit before the rains arrived this weekend

Ready now for step two.
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sun May 29, 2005 10:09 am

Lenny,

Keep us posted on how that aluminum works out. I'm thinking of using it on my trailer. I thought I had a local source for 5' wide aluminum, but when I went to order it, they informed me that the freight would be as much as the aluminum :cry:

I can get the Lufkin aluminum locally, looks like it will work great for the roof, but was worried about how flat it would lay on the sides. My tear is going to be 56" wide, Because of it's width, I would have to split it 56" and 48", using 1/2 for the roof and the other 1/2 for the sides. If it works out OK, it would actually be a lot cheaper than sheets for me, as there wouldn't be as much scrap.

How did you cut it? Looks like it would be hard to reach across and cut the centers.

It seems like it a soft aluminum, I wonder how scratch resistant it will be?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby McTeardrops » Sun May 29, 2005 1:04 pm

Jeff

I used an HF air shear to make the cuts. (Actually two, since the first died during the last cut.) The .060 aluminum cut like butter, except when it wouldn't cut at all, but as this was the first time the shear was out of the box, I still don't know if the problem was tool, material, technique or operator. I climbed right up on the table for the long cuts, so reach wasn't much of a problem. As you indicated, the most nervous-making cut was splitting 48+" and 54"+ widths out of 103" stock!
Lenny

[email protected]
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby Larwyn » Sun May 29, 2005 3:22 pm

McTeardrops wrote:Jeff

I used an HF air shear to make the cuts. (Actually two, since the first died during the last cut.) The .060 aluminum cut like butter, except when it wouldn't cut at all, but as this was the first time the shear was out of the box, I still don't know if the problem was tool, material, technique or operator. I climbed right up on the table for the long cuts, so reach wasn't much of a problem. As you indicated, the most nervous-making cut was splitting 48+" and 54"+ widths out of 103" stock!

I've been planning on getting my aluminum from the same source. And wondering how I would manage to reach half way across that wide aluminum. It occured to me that I should be able to split it right around the middle with a jigsaw or recip saw while it is still in a coil. Where's the critical flaw in this plan? I'm sure the cut would not be as clean as what you got with the shear but I can waste one edge of each half easily. Just curious.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby McTeardrops » Sun May 29, 2005 5:46 pm

Larwyn

I guess it depends on the size of your trailer, and what you've got to carry it home with. There was no cutting charge at Lufkin, so if I had a full size pickup and a 4' x 8' x 4' TD, I could probably have had plenty of 48" x 103" sheets sheared for me. As my largest piece needed to be 54" x 109" and I drive a small Nissan, I had to carry home a 20' roll.

As I had less than 1/2 inch tolerance on my rip cut I went the way I did. I've never tried your suggestion on aluminum, but I do screw up every time I try it on wrapping paper!
Lenny

[email protected]
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby Keith » Sun May 29, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi Lenny,

Try cutting a piece of the aluminum with a skill saw and with a wood cutting blade. If you use a guide it will come out like a factory cut.

We have used it on up to 1/4" thick aluminum and it works great.

Keith.
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Sun May 29, 2005 10:24 pm

After raising my sides this weekend, finoshing most of the framing and attaching sides to galley walls, I have a whole new respect for you guys working with aluminum.

SCREW HEADS!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon May 30, 2005 7:46 am

Lenny,
You only have 21 days before you head out to Minden. You better get busy. We hope to see you there or on the road. Good luck.

Laryn,
When Charles was cutting the Lufkin aluminum roll with his shears I held up one side and slowly kept it up while he progressed. If both sides were flat on the ground the curly clipping would scratch the aluminum as it came out of the shear. Good Luck to you too. Maybe we will meet at a Texas gathering soon.

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

alum.

Postby scruffy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:15 pm

how much did that roll cost?
scruffy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nubwon » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:57 am

what is the thickness on that aluminum?
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby McTeardrops » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:05 am

The roll was 20 linear feet, 103 inches wide, .060 thick, and cost $208.30.
Lenny

[email protected]
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques