galley hatch hardware

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

galley hatch hardware

Postby Juli n Bill » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:19 am

Hi,
We've been lurking for a while as we build our tear and generally a search of the board usually finds the answer to most of our question. But we've been stumped on where to find the hardware for the locking t handle for the galley hatch. We can find t handles galore but not the latch bits. Do you build this part yourself?
Thanks!
Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:30 am

...have you tried Austin Hdw or Grant's L'il Bear site or So-Cal TD's or the Teardrop Fixit Shop or...
madjack 8)

p.s. I got that and much more from Austin Hdw(check links section at top of forum)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby larryl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:21 am

We purchased our handles w/ locks from RW Johnson. The locking t-handes were $8.50 a piece. Also, Johnson's is a great source for bendable
alum. edge.
Larryl
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby Juli n Bill » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:17 am

Thanks for the replies. We can find the locking T handles no problem, it's the rest of the assembly, the latches. The two rods that go out to the edge and secure the hatch to the body of the tear. And the mechanism that works them.
Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:25 am

...Austin hdw has all the "bits"
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Michael W » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:39 am

Here is one way to build your own. I used a center pivot from a garage door, purchased from a local hardware store
The square rod from the locking t-handle inserts into this pivot. I connected this pivot to door sash pins by stranded wire cable:
The door sash pins can be purchased online from McMaster-Carr or from several other vendors.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ look in window hardware, page 2700 of the onlne catalog. They are listed as Window Spring Bolts.

These bolts insert into striker plates that are inserted into the side walls. The strikers were make by welding a small piece of 3/8" ID tubing onto a fender washer.

This set-up worked to allow for locking of the hatch, but it did not apply enough force to fully seat the weatherstripping. Therefore, we added some overcenter latches to the bottom corners of the hatch lid to pull the hatch tight.

These chrome beauties were purchased from West Marine http://www.westmarine.com, the link is from a piece of chain and the webbing was sewn to get the exact length (by trial and error) we needed for proper function.

I hope this helps.
Michael W
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:20 pm

Try this They have handles and locking cab locks as well.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:31 pm

...J&B, when you go to the Austin site(you did go didn't you) order their catalogue, they have such a large selection of goodies that trying to chase 'em all down on the net can be trying/frustrating. With the catalogue in hand it very easy to flip around and compare options and lookup things you didn't even know existed
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Juli n Bill » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:00 am

Thanks to everyone, we got some great ideas and resources. We'll let you know how it goes with the hatch.
Michael thanks for the detailed explanation of your hatch latches, we are building a modenaire style also.
That's a good idea about the catalogue, Madjack, thanks.
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:42 pm

I went to an RV supply house and bought a rod type system for a truck topper and cut the rods down in length. I had an original tear and the single latch in the middle of the hatch would tend to pop loose, plus I had to deal with the latch on the floor of the galley area. The topper latch allows the rods to shoot into the sides and hold it firm. More secure also when locked. I also used a couple of rubber battery box type hold downs to help really compress the weatherstripping. Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby gman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:37 am

WOW Austin hardware is a great source site and very good prices, have you had any problems with shipping or quality?
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:53 am

gman wrote:WOW Austin hardware is a great source site and very good prices, have you had any problems with shipping or quality?

Austin, has great quality and I had no problem with shipping. :thumbsup:
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:50 am

...I give Austin :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , they have been very helpful to me in my build with excellent service/product
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques