The Trailer Frame

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

The Trailer Frame

Postby xe1ufo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:07 pm

Here in Mexico they sell a square tubing used for a lot of smaller industrial structures. They call it PTR. With 470 factories in our town, I can buy it by the kilogram at the junk dealers. Is this stuff any good as the basic bottom trailer frame and tongue? For the lighter weight 4 by 8, what size is good, if any?

I am thinking of a frame that will withstand our bad roads and also the many non-paved roads we frequently travel.

Thanks in advance!
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Maybe some of the Cubby from Kuffle Creek builders can tell you what they are using. It's a 4x8. I have a 4x10 Comet by the same designer, I used 2x2 1/8 wall. It's plenty stout, but not light. I'm sure you can use lighter material as many of the HF frames use lighter materials and they hold up well for them. I think you need to decide just how hard you plan on working the frame and if you are going to do any off roading. When buying any scrap iron, just make sure that it has never been in a fire, It will be like building a frame out of a rubber hose..It'll weld up ok, but will bend very easily.....Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques