Headliner trim

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:00 pm

IraRat wrote:
Compared to annealing aluminum, this is a pleasure. And if it fades or cracks, I can change it and THEN anneal some aluminum.

Annealing isn't that bad. Anything 3/4" or smaller is pretty easy to work with. I'm like you, I just dreaded the aluminum stuff but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I even ripped some down on my table saw and I've been putting that off for a couple of months. Now I'm wondering what the big deal was.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:04 pm

doug hodder wrote:I milled mohogany 3/8" thick, cut a 45 degree chamfer on it with the router and then ripped it 3/8" wide. I didn't soften it with water or steam and got it to bend OK. Just make sure the grain of the wood is nice and straight, and no knots or imperfections...Installed it with poly glue and a brad nailer....Doug Hodder

Doug,

I wished I'd looked at yours a little closer when I had the chance. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try and bend a piece of maple.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:04 pm

[/quote]

I wished I'd looked at yours a little closer when I had the chance. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try and bend a piece of maple.
Bruce[/quote]

Bruce, like I mentioned, just make sure the grain is nice and straight. I even dyed and finished mine prior to install, It wants to tend to roll while installing, but you just gotta have strong thumbs...PS when shooting brads on material this narrow, check the direction of the brad so that it doesn't want to blow the material apart.....Doug Hodder
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bopper62 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:11 am

Man do I have a big ???? for you now if we use spar var poly how long is it going to last if poly is not rated for out door useage :thinking:

bopper62
bopper62
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:31 pm

bdosborn wrote:
IraRat wrote:
Compared to annealing aluminum, this is a pleasure. And if it fades or cracks, I can change it and THEN anneal some aluminum.

Annealing isn't that bad. Anything 3/4" or smaller is pretty easy to work with. I'm like you, I just dreaded the aluminum stuff but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I even ripped some down on my table saw and I've been putting that off for a couple of months. Now I'm wondering what the big deal was.
Bruce

I'm still afraid, Bruce.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 pm

IraRat wrote:I'm still afraid, Bruce.

Buck up little camper. Remember, adversity is the anvil upon which good character is forged. ;)
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques