HF 188-lbTrailer Arrives !

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

HF 188-lbTrailer Arrives !

Postby JohnF » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:18 pm

Ordered the trailer for my Cubby on the 4th of Oct, it was shipped on the 5th and received this afternoon (the 13th.) Boxes kinda crushed but everything inside is fine. Also got the "regular" hitch lock, not the screw kind so that's good.

One more thought...I am going to the Court House tomorrow morning to get a licence plate and registration for the trailer and taking along photos of all the parts laid out on my garage floor and ask them how then can (and they will!) charge for what they call "previous use tax" .. its only a few dollars but is a petty rip off....no prior use whatever and they charge previous use tax !

I keep remembering a politician who once said, "Government is a gift from God to the people!" What kind of pig god does he have I often wondered.
JohnF
Donating Member

OOps

Postby JohnF » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:19 pm

Of course that's 1,800-lb trailer.
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby Spadinator » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:46 pm

I love my HF trailer......one thing in Utah that is nice is that any trailer under 750 lbs unladen weight, and single axle does not have to be registered!!! I will start my build soon as well... GOOD LUCK :D
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby jaevans » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:04 pm

I just assembled my HF trailer this past weekend - not for a tear (that project is down the road) but for general utility use.

Funny thing in Colorado - they consider the kit trailer to be a home built trailer and thus they replace the VIN with a Colorado issued VIN sticker. I'm leaving the original plate on mine anyway and put the sticker right next to it.

One caution - there is no way that the ground connection for the trailer wiring will be made from the coupler thru the tongue if you keep the trailer as a flip down. You'll need to bolt it tightly together at the hinge point or (as I did) run an extra ground wire from the coupler to the first frame section - after that, all the lights work properly.

Anyway, now I'll have something to haul construction material when I get around to a Tear - mine will be wide enough to sleep 3 and store lots of equipment so that the tow vehicle is relatively free of such clutter.

john
jaevans
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JohnF » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 pm

It seems different counties in Colorado work differently. The VIN that was on my HF trailer was accepted. I took a photo of it and showed the registrar that it compared exactly with the VIN shown on the certificate of origin. No problem. No added sticker.

BUT a few years ago I bought another HF trailer for utility hauling and they also considered it home-built...charged me $5 for a policeman to come out and stick a VIN sticker on the trailer.

Go figure !!

Another note: my "new" HB 1,800-lb trailer received last Thursday is now assembled, squared up, and the wooden frame is installed. Next step is plywood for floor and sides, and floor tile....going to the big city for a dental exam and will have a chance to oogle and awe at a Home Depot...sure wish we had one out here in the woods !

John at Salida, CO
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:29 pm

Huh! When I saw "188 LBS" trailer, I thought that you were trying to build and 'ultralight' teardrop. :shock: I was really looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing how it was going to be done. Darn the luck :cry: :cry: I guess from reading your second post in this thread that it will be more of a 'standard' weight teardrop :o
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Vegabond9 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:30 pm

Wow! Salida really is out in the wild. But its beautiful! I went through there a couple of years ago. Awesome country. Keep us posted on your build. Did that trailer come with springs and 12" wheels?
Vegabond9
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jaevans » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:00 am

Wow, two Johns in Colorado with Teardrop Dreams - who'da thunk !! Good luck on your build. I do have a teardrop already, built on a HF trailer by a guy in Bozeman who outgrew it. Owning one before building is nice for me so I can determine what works, what doesn't, and what I'd like in mine.

Be sure to post construction pix somewhere !!!

You can see pix of construction of mine at http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... uid=816980

take care and enjoy the journey - john - colorado springs, co
jaevans
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JLaman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:18 am

Word of caution to builders in PA -- the licensing process takes 7 to 8 weeks. Start the process as soon as the trailer is assembled. You will need photos, a state inspection, and lots of $$. Don't volunteer that you will be constructing a travel trailer on top or it will take months to get the license. Go to the PennDOT website and download the info on licensing assembled trailers. Good luck!

Jeff L.
JLaman
Teardrop Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques