39" wide trailer, Ideas?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

39" wide trailer, Ideas?

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:00 pm

I have the option to purchase a former Jet Ski trailer for 100.00. Great price as it's in good shape. I haven't measured the length yet but it looks like it would handle a 8' deck. Only problem is it's only 39" wide between the wheels. This obviously rules out a 4" wide TD. I thought about making a "Trailer For One" out of the "Trailer for Two" plans. Anybody have any other ideas? I have about 10 sheets of 3/4" plywood just sitting around looking for a purpose. ;)
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Gerdo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:04 pm

Have you thought of building over the wheels
Like this but smaller!
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:19 pm

...like Gerdo said, build out over the wheels, if you have a need for or a desire for a one person tear then that is an option also...it would only be about 4" narrower than normal
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:56 pm

Hmmm, I actually hadn't considered doing that but, it might work rather well. I am stopping over tomorrow night and checking it out and will get some more exact measurements. Darn good deal though. I'm getting this trailer and a aluminum canoe in good shape, both for 200.00. I figure that works out to 100.00 each.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:10 pm

Jimbo, I just finished building a 40" wide tear, 72" long. I call it the 1/4 Nelson Stacker. There are times when the sweet wife won't be up to a camping trip, so I slapped this one-man tear together, just for those times. What makes it a bit unusual is when I store it in my garage, I simply flip it up on end and stack it against the wall, out of the way and taking up very little space. No built-in stove, sink or refer on this model, just paper plates and a few shorts and T shirts in the interior cabinet. So far, it weighs only 255 lbs, total!

Roly, the li'l ol' TD builder in sunny So Calif. (unless when it's raining)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques