Andrew's Design for the 2 + 2

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:35 pm

GregB wrote:Robert,

I was planning on building a tear that is 54" tall but did some measuring. I'm only 6' tall but I'm long in the torso (I sit taller than my 6'5" uncle). Sitting up straight I find that I only take up 40", or 37" if I'm relaxing, so a 4' tall tear is plenty, even after figuring roof and floor depths and mattress thickness.

GB

That is what I figured. Good to know. The deisgn calls for like 48", 46 or so with insulation I imagine.
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:42 pm

madjack wrote:...Feral, the 5' height may be needed for that 3rd person to fit comfortably otherwise 4' is fine

...welding, I am no welder BUT one of my buddies is an expert SO I cut, fit, square up all the metal having it laid out and ready to weld, he then comes over and in a couple of hours it is completely welded...we then kick back, have a few cold ones and congratulate ourselves on a job well done...do the same and I am sure father in law will have it whipped in an afternoon
madjack 8)

Thats' what I anticipated. He and I made little carrier to plug into a reciever out of scrap metal back when I had a real Jeep and no storage room: it didn't take long. I am going to go one more cautious than you suggest though, I am going to let him "help" make the cuts. :D
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:26 pm

eieio1 wrote:Glen,

Although I do not know who the pictures belong to, I believe this is the trailer that madjack is talking about:

Kid's Hammock

I saw the pictures a while back, liked the idea, and had saved the link to my Favorites.

Archie

Yup, thats exactly what I was thinking. I think I saw those pics before, then forgot the pics but remembered the idea. Got 'em in my "Teardrop" bookmarks file now.

Thanks.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Camp-Inn Trailer

Postby dtrdwngfn » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:53 am

Camp-Inn has the right idea when it comes to 2X2 teardrops. The best part is there are no moving parts to fail. The only problem is I don't think they sell designs. I don't know that for sure though.

http://tinycamper.com/topsecret
dtrdwngfn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:10 am

I'm 6-2, long torso, 8 inch mattress, 46" inside height and have no problem sitting up....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Camp-Inn Trailer

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:27 pm

dtrdwngfn wrote:Camp-Inn has the right idea when it comes to 2X2 teardrops. The best part is there are no moving parts to fail. The only problem is I don't think they sell designs. I don't know that for sure though.

http://tinycamper.com/topsecret

Thanks for the link. Ah, who needs "designs" as in insturction sheets. What I like are ideas. I never was good at following directions. A picture is worth a thousand words (right up until the time the tongue falls off, anyway). I like the levitating bunk bed thing.
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:06 am

Feral XJ-SC,
If you wanted to copy camp inns design I bet Cary would give you some tips. They are good guys to talk with. Plus they give lots of info on there web site. :thumbsup:
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques