5X9 on a 4X8 frame???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

5X9 on a 4X8 frame???

Postby wentzzee » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:51 pm

I in my rather feeble way have discovered there is more knowledge on this forum than anywhere else in the world. So here is my question.............anybody built a 5X9 on a 4X8 frame??????????
All Reality Starts with a Dream
wentzzee
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chip » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:54 pm

wentzee,,, if you have some under curve in the front and or rear,, then your floor size coule be 5x8 with the outside box dimentions being 5x9 or more depending on the amount of under cut you design into the TTT, the deciding factor first: in my opinion, would be to decide if you want your wheels outside of the body or inside,, you may have to change out the axle to accomplish the outside design, and this may be in part be how the trailer frame you are gonna use is set up,,hope this helps

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:08 pm

Wentzee-

Chipper is right! You could build over the wheels by installing wheel wells to get your 5' width.

You could pick up a foot in length by framing out your floor to 9' (you will have to check axle location in relation to the floor and how that effects tongue weight and balance of the trailer).

Take a look at my album, I built a 6' w x 10' l x 5' h teardrop on a 5' x 9' trailer frame...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:43 pm

the short answer is "you betcha"
a couple of thoughts...the frame is to attach an axle to for the purpose of mounting and pulling a camper down the road and second, the camper is generally built in such a manner as to be self supporting and needs a frame only as a means of attaching itself to the axle so it can be pulled down the road....after those two things everything else is simply a design consideration/exercise.
So, ask questions, design away and then build it
madjack 8)

p.s. oh yeah ;) take a lotta pics...why...'cause we luvs da pics
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:36 am

Wentzzee,

Can you build the body bigger than the frame? Sure.

The one thing I would look at when doing this is how the body is attached to the frame. Overhanging the frame on all sides could be a problem - you don't want the situation where the rigid body is supported on a trampoline floor. It is the vertical parts of a teardrop body (sides, front, bulkhead) that give it strength, not the floor.

There are several ways round this potential problem:

- A normal galley/cabin bulkhead will connect from the frame to the sides, so that's the bigger half of the problem solved.

- It would be nice to connect the bottom of the front wall to the frame, as that would give a second point of attachment. Alternatively:

- If the floor consists of some framing under a sheet of ply, and not just the ply on its own, it should be able to connect the body sides to the frame. You might want to use framing 1-1/2" deep, rather than 3/4", to do this.

Is that clear as mud? :?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:10 pm

Mine is built over the wheels.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ser_id=888
It is 5'w X 11'L X 4'9" h. It is built with a raised floor that the bed sits on. This gives me a storage space of 5'x8'x9" under the bed. This still gives me a sit up height in bed fo 45". I wanted to go over my wheels to keep my wheelbase narrow to save space in my garage and no wider than my SUV. The top floor is made up of 3 removable and hinged panels. Overall height is still only 6'6" and I can get it into a standard garage. A plan "B" could be to build it only 4' high and 5' wide and have it narrow down around the wheels. Sleep with your legs by the wheelwells. This would still give you plenty of shoulder space. I had my frame built so I had "wings" to make the 4' wide frame 5' wide. With a floor built out of two sides of plywood and 2x2 framing inbetween it should be strong enough to overhang the frame 6" on each side. Overhanging on all 4 sides you may want up the size of some of the framing and/or go to a stronger (than pine) wood.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques