Fitting an older router with a PC template guide set

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:48 pm

On ply...MDF or masonite...I just use a straight cut pattern bit...typically 1/2" as it can handle a deeper cut in 1 pass....any mention that I have done on upcut/down cut bits were intended only for the use on aluminum...a straight cut bit on aluminum will tend to gall up the cutting faces ( it just doesn't get the chance to clean itself out)....in aluminum....slow the bit down....not the same critter as woods..PS MDF will dull your bit really fast compared to regular ply....same thing on a saw blade.....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cracker39 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:18 am

Thanks, Doug. I'll be cutting through two layers of the the 5.2mm water resistant luan plywood. I guess I'll try it with a straight cut 1/2" two-fluted bit. HF has a 3-piece set that should be good enough to practice with (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", all appear to be 1" depth of cut). If they don't make a decent cut, I'll order a couple of good carbide bits from MLCS. There are a couple of other items that I want to get anyway in the MLCS catalog that I received with my order. They have a collett extension for use in a table so that you can keep your bit fully inserted in the collett. And, I think I'll make a new router table, or at least a new top if I can find my old one, so I'll need their router plate kit with the PC type base.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques