Tongue Length on modified Comet

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tongue Length on modified Comet

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:25 pm

Today, I was busy modifing the trailer plans for a Comet to build at 5 x 9.5. The plans for the 4 x 10 show the axle at 40" from the rear. The tongue length is 38" total from the front. I'm concerned about hitch weight on the tow vehicle (Honda Element, 1500/200lbs tow/tongue capacity).

If I went ahead and permanently welded the axle mounts at 40 inches...would it make sense to temporarily cut the tongue length to, say, 50 inches and cut it back after the build to better balance the weight? Or, would it better to hold to 38 inches on the tongue length and plan on relocating the axle after the cabin is complete? Or, am I just being anal about the whole deal and shouldn't be so concerned? :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:54 pm

JD, it doesn't make any diff...the only way to adjust the weight is with the axle...if your tongue was 20feet long or 3feet long the only diff would be the weight of the steel in the tongue. If you cut 6" off the overall and kept the axle at 40" from rear of 9.5 about the only difference would be the tongue LIGHTER than before since you would have moved the axle forward 6"
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:56 pm

I'm being stupid..again.. :oops:
Juneaudave

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:02 pm

Juneaudave wrote:I'm being stupid..again.. :oops:

...who said, who said....let me at 'em, let me at 'em, I'll teach 'em to make fun of my little alaskan buddy :lol: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)

p.s. the only truly stupid question is the one not asked
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:31 pm

Juneaudave wrote:I'm being stupid..again.. :oops:

No, you're not! Madjack is sorta, but not completely, right. Altering the length of the tongue will make a difference, but not a very big one.

Let's say your trailer had 10% of its weight on the hitch with a 38" tongue. If the tongue were lengthened to 50", the hitch weight would go down to 9% of the total, plus the extra weight of the tongue itself - I'd say about 9.4%. So the net change is 0.6% - 6lb on a 1000lb trailer.

We'd say "neither owt nor summat" - neither something or nothing.

Andrew the techie :SG
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:58 pm

...you Brit engineer types are sure picky :lol: I knew there would be a miniscule diff but not enough to matter...down here in the deeeeeeep south we just shrug and say, ehhhh, dats close enough for govt. work :D ;)
madjack(looking for my slide rule) 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:24 pm

madjack wrote:...you Brit engineer types are sure picky

Yup, but we are required to be, by law. The condescending tone, however, I throw in for free. :eyebrows:

madjack wrote:...down here in the deeeeeeep south we just shrug and say, ehhhh, dats close enough for govt. work

In the shipyards, we used to say "near enough for pit work".

But now we say things like "I can remember when this riverside park was a shipyard".

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:39 pm

Geeeeeee! Being a engineer myself; and well versed in statics, dynamics, structural design and building tree houses...this discussion kills me! As I'm drawing up these trailer plans...the engineer asks "What are the clearance requirements for a 2000 lb Dexter axle, with a 1500 load, to the fenders"...the tree house builder asks "Is the cooler space enough for a case of Milwaukee's finest? I'm a thinking I better just start building and stop fussing!!! Juneaudave

BTW..Thanks for the replies Madjack and Angib
Juneaudave

Postby angib » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:49 am

Juneaudave wrote:the engineer asks "What are the clearance requirements for a 2000 lb Dexter axle, with a 1500 load, to the fenders"

Dexter specify 3" clearance to the fender from the full load position.

But then you get to the really tricky question which is "what is the 1500lb load position on a 2000lb axle?". Given that the spring is rubber in a funnily-shaped space, one of the few certainties in this world is that the answer is not 75% of the way from the unloaded position (="start angle").

That'll teach you to ask questions........ :twisted:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques