Options for roofing?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:32 am

Chip,

In many ways, I agree with you. You don't need much for a weekend campout.

Our last campout was in the rain, and temps were in the 30s overnight. We didn't need the furnace... we certainly didn't need the a/c. But a way to get into the teardrop without getting the sheets all wet and muddy would have been nice!!! :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:04 am

Amyh

Have you ever looked at Mike's Winter Warrior design. The one I'm working on is 5 wide and 10 long with inside galley and with the top up you can stand in it. Andrew has good drawings that I used except I put a teardrop front profile on her. With the curved front it looks sorta like what is in your avatar except you would have to square the back. I really like the design because it is half way between a teardrop and tiny trailer but still has the teardrop look and has a place to get dressed in when it rains. Down side to the build is the number of panels you have to make' but that just takes time.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Chip » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:32 am

E-z up with side curtains,,, dressing room,, sitting room,, florida room,, guest room,, reading room,, dining room,, screened in pourch,, sure makes inclement weather a bit nicer,, but now setting up in the rain,, oh well,, wet again,,, but then again its camping,, aint we having fun yet? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:58 am

George, I really like the direction you are going with yours. It definitely feels similar to the direction that I am leaning in. I think that one of the main reasons I started to change my mind is that I have always had big dogs, and I probably always will. A 4X10 was starting to feel a bit cramped for 2 people and a big dog!! :shock: Also, muddy paws all over the mattress just doesn't float my boat, call me girly, but even when I camp I don't like to sleep in dirt. :lol:

I drew out a sketch last night, the old fashioned way (pencil and paper), so I am going to try scanning it and getting it into digital format to share. I went with a profile similar to the JD Hunter. I didn't want to waste the work that I have already started on my chassis, so I designed something that, hopefully, will work with what I have so far. It ends up being a little longer than 10', actually came out to 12' long, so it will be nice to hear what people think. Also, the wheel may need to move a bit forward, hopefully I can get some advice on this. I am a little concerned that with the galley toward the front, the weight may be too much over the tongue area.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:17 am

The T@B has the galley in the front. It also has a storage closet in the front. The way they compensated for all that weight in the front was to move the wheel quite a bit forward.

If I were designing something like that, I would move the wheels forward too! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:03 pm

Amy,

How about something like this...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:13 pm

Wow Mike!! That looks great, and it is really darned close to what I was thinking, except that I have the front a bit flatter, like a Benroy. I am going to try scanning the profile here in just a few minutes, so I'll see if I can get it posted within the hour.

Amy :)
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:23 pm

Just added upper cabinets... and the tongue weight is fairly light... but of course you know what happens when you fill your tongue chest and cabinets... :o

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:23 pm

Mike,

Why not put that one in the 'Generic Build'??? :? Should be easy for a beginner :shock:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:26 pm

Actually I think it's too big to really be considered a teardrop, plus it doesn't have the galley out the back which is almost a requirement for a teardrop...

I will do up a set of plans for something like this in the future though...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:30 pm

Amy,

How much headroom do you need?

I just moved the frame up inside the walls, but now the headroom is down to 65". :(

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:44 pm

Mike, I posted my sketch of the profile in my gallery (http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=1339). Just needs a tongue box on the front. My chassis frame is 115" by 48", so I wanted to be able to build around what I already started. What do you think? Pretty close to what you have drawn, but a little taller. The wheel area is a little rough, since I was freehand drawing it, but I think you get the idea. I'm looking forward to some feedback on this.

Amy :)
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:51 pm

Hey Amy,

That's not bad... I see you have a flat floor instead of a dropped floor. That means you'll need a much larger wall, probably 6'. You'll have to build up your wall from multiple pieces of plywood.

I tried to stay inside a 5x10' piece of plywood, but since you are trying to use your existing trailer, my smaller design wouldn't work for you. But you could stretch it out lengthwise...

How tall do you need it at the doorway?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Mike, I think the doorway just needs to be tall enough to get in, so if you need to bend over to step in that isn't a problem for me. I am 5'7" myself, so I figured that somewhere around 5' tall would be fine for the doorway. What do you think? For the sides, since I went taller, I figured I would butt 3 pieces of plywood side to side to get the length and the height. Seems like a little bit of a waste, but I figured that I might be able to use cheaper plywood, since I will probably skin it with something, just not sure what yet. Do you think, proportionately, that the design will look too tall in comparison to the width? I like the length to height ratio, it looks pretty good, but I am concerned about the width to height ratio.

Amy
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:10 pm

Okay, you're 5'7". That means you need 5' 9" of clearance to the ceiling.

Since you are using 3 sheets of plywood you could easily make it 6x12'. But that's huge! And it's going to be heavy. What is your tow vehicle?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques