Newbie with questions

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby kdf5 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:47 am

IraRat wrote:I'm just curious:

If you want 5 feet wide, and you have to buy a trailer anyway, why not just buy a 5-footer? Does he extra width of the wheels bother you?

I have a line on a used 4' here in town that is priced extremely right.
kdf5
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:59 am

NOW I understand your motivation, but I'll just give you this itty bitty piece of advice:

I went cheap on my trailer, because it meant I could get started right away instead of waiting 2 weeks. I'm sorry I did, because after you start pulling out the cash, the credt cards, over the next few months, your price difference in the trailers now is going to seem pretty insignificant.

Especially when you want to do something diffferent, a little more involved, and since it's your first TD.

Of course, as said, you can definitely do it. I'm just recommending you think hard about it, because spending $100 or $200 more at this stage may really be worth it for you in the long run.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby JunkMan » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:07 am

kdf5 wrote:I'm in Kearney.

Don't get down that way too often. Drop me a note if you get up this way (Rapid City) and I'll show what I've got done so far. I just picked up my aluminum, hope to get the walls up this week.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

4' trailer or 5'?

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:09 am

I thought about just getting a 5x8 trailer instead ... but looked around and found a place in town that is going to cost about $600. Red Trailers.com have one that is $459 plus $90 shipping.
Tractor Supply here in town says they only have a 4x8 and it has a straight tongue, not a v-tongue so that's out for me.

And right now with this week's coupon I can go to the local Harbor Freight store and get their 4x8 for $249 then 20% off = $199.20 ... much more affordable for me... And I'm only building about an 800# trailer and might use it four or five times all year. I don't have a ton of money and would much rather buy the red trailer ... I'm still sorta considering that but need to make up my mind this week!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:29 am

Julie--you're looking at the HF folding model, right? With the 12" wheels?

That's the one I used, and although there may be one or two people here who DIDN'T follow the Cubby plans regarding this, most of us did. And...

Most of us modified it according to the Cubby plans. This meant taking two of the cross members, and inserting them into the SIDES, and creating a wooden cross piece to use in the center. (I didn't shorten/cut the length per Kubby plans.) All of this was a pain in the a**. Not impossible to do, but a lot of hole-drilling.

Just bringing this up because if you can get, for $200 or so more, a bolt-together 5 by 8 and you're going to BUILD a 5 by 8, it's well worth it.

Plus, 12-inch wheels are not fantastic for long-distance trips. I don't do long trips, but if I did, I would feel a lot more secure with 15".

Again, you're in the same situation I was. I cheaped out on the trailer, not realizing how much money I was going to wind up spending ANYWAY.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby randy chesnutt » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:35 pm

julie, i learn that when build a td there are many question that comes up. good research will find your answer. that,s what the form help you with. now to your trailer. i PERSONALLY am not a fan of HF trailers. i do understand the cost of a trailer from tractor supply are a place that build trailers. but, something to think about that fabricated trailer will be around for a long time.they are built to take the weight of a td. you don,t have to cut corner on your build to keep the weight down. sure you got to keep a eye on weight. and by the time you finish modifing the trailer to fit your build you would be close to the cost of a fabricated trailer. i put 2000 lbs. springs and a 3500 lbs axles with 14" tires on a 2 x2 square tubing frame. some says that is over kill. no, i call it being smart. i was able to build my td that i really wanted and cut no corning. i can remove a leaf it needed are i can add a leaf and i got a heavyduty trailer. the strenght of a structure is the base. after you build your td and later on you decide to sell it ,then you can recupe the cost of the trailer. sure hope to see you at INKS LAKE
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

ps...

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:56 pm

yeah, I would like to buy a welded, better built trailer but the reason for keeping the weight down is because right now I'd be towing with my accord which has a tow cap. of 1000# and tongue of 100#.

I hope to be at Inks, probably tent camping (yuck) but we'll see. My brother lives in Leander and said it's about 30 miles from there, right?

OH!!! That is also the weekend of a festival up here near the Fin & Feather Resort at Lake Tenkiller and I think a friend of mine wants to go to that so I'm not sure about the Inks gathering. we'll see...

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques