Hatch props

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby shil » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:14 pm

KISS. Broomsticks rule.

shil
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:38 am

Okay, I can accept broomsticks, but am having trouble with the string holding open the cannon-port cover../g/
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:22 am

arnereil wrote:Okay, I can accept broomsticks, but am having trouble with the string holding open the cannon-port cover../g/

Hey, that's probably strong string! And he;s using two strands! (I think.)
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:55 am

IraRat wrote:
Shiro wrote:Keeping it really, really simple, we use two lengths of broomstick and sockets on the counter and the hatch. ....

This is exactly what I plan to do.

My hatch isn't heavy at all, and in the meantime, I've been using my RAKE to hold the darn thing up.

Hey Ira, I really like that RAKE idea. It has the added benefit of allowing me to weasel my way out of the fall yard clean-up. "Sorry Hon, I can't rake the yard today. I need to use that rake to prop up my galley hatch" :twisted:

Seriously though, what are you guys using for sockets on your prop rods? I suppose, I could easily make a pair out of some maple left over from building my cabinets.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shil » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:20 pm

arnereil wrote:Okay, I can accept broomsticks, but am having trouble with the string holding open the cannon-port cover...

Why? Easily adjustable, almost free, works better than anything else that I came up with.

TomS wrote:Seriously though, what are you guys using for sockets on your prop rods? I suppose, I could easily make a pair out of some maple left over from building my cabinets.

I fabricated (love that word) a couple of little plywood 'doughnuts', screwed in place on the hatch and the floor.
shil
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:59 pm

Tom, I'm figuring on using some small flag holder thingy, or just go exploring down the aisles of HD.

This ain't rocket science.

It can be brass, aluminum, wood, tin foil--I don't care WHAT it's made of. As long as it's CHEAP and does the job.

Hell, I might even use some of Shil's string.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby SteveH » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:00 pm

Whatever method y'all chose to prop up the galley hatch, I suggest you read this thread: http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=

There IS the possibility of the wind blowing the hatch off the props. :o
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:11 pm

I don't remember exactly where the post was, but one of our members had the hatch ripped right off of their trailer on the maiden voyage. :cry: So it can happen. I plan to have my hatch supported and locked down for certain. :thumbsup:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:26 pm

Broomsticks.

A hatch ripping off while driving has nothing to do with the props. It has to do with how the thing was closed and sealed.

Anyway you cut it, they're just two stupid sticks holding up a kind of a door. There are more important things to worry about in life.

Those pins are a good idea though in the event of a wind gust when you're stationery. Makes sense.

Or I'll just use more of Shil's rope.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby s4son » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:38 pm

Shil,
Is that you and your teardrop. I would like to see more pictures. It looks pretty spacious especially with the window in the side.

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby shil » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:59 pm

That's me and the TD. More here

I've never had the hatch come close to lifting off the props. If it starts to get too windy I close the hatch. I close it whenever I leave the campsite. When it's torn from its moorings and comes crashing down, then I'll wish that I'd locked it down.
shil
Donating Member

Postby davel » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:13 pm

Listen to SteveH. Our last trip to the coast ended up with the hatch blown off the tear. Luckily it was a clean break at the joint and was easy to fix.

Whatever method you use to prop the hatch up, it's a good idea to have the prop attached at both ends.
davel
Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:04 am

For the "sockets" used to hold the broomsticks, look for the coat rod hardware. The big box stores carry them. They are available in unstained wood, plastic and brass.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:08 am

Bruce, on your mechanical props, can the wind lift the hatch and let it drop? I read the blurb and it says it uses the star wheel system, where to close it, you lift it and drop it down to close. Can the wind do the same thing?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:53 am

Tom, I was faced with the same decision when building my hatch. I wanted something made of wood, kind of a step up from a wooden pole. So after 4 attempts, I made some articuating 2-piece fold-away hatch-holder-uppers. The first 3 broke, so after finally making them out of baltic birch, I do have a working pair. I don't trust them for an extended period, so add solid wooden supports at each side to help carry the weight. So far no crash & fall problems. Next time it'll be gas struts for me.

Roly~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques