Keeping sliding doors shut

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Chip » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:36 am

I kinda like the grey stickey stuff ie: DUCK TAPE,,, nothing, absolutely nothing says engineering, design, funtion, simplicity, like a good roll of 2" duck tape,,,, but the pin idea aint bad either

chipper :awesome: :yes:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:15 am

you know I'm not a TD building expert like you Tom, but my first thought was the magnets and I love the K.I.S.S. idea with the drill a small home / pin idea. ....

Like my old carpenter dad used to remind me "work smart, don't work hard" ...... I'm sure he would have loved building a teardrop ...
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Elbow Catch

Postby Cutterpup » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:03 am

I have used this type of latch, it is hidden drives people crazy trying to open the door and unless something hits it from behind stays locked. All you need to do is drill a finger hole in the door and attach the latch behind it. :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=2396

And marine discount stores will have it for less than Boat/US

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:34 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:I like using cotter pins for stuff like that...... Also on the other end is a nice hole to put a small chain or string.

That idea is seconded.

I've seen it used on an old yacht and it works well. The 'string' can be really light and picked to suit whatever decoration you have - the yacht used brass cotter pins (no, I don't know where I'd get them either) and brass wire (sold for picture hanging) and looked gorgeous.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:09 am

My sliding cabinet doors are not staggered, they both slide in the same groove. They sport these nice glass knobs made by my lady Lanza. I figure a bit of cord or even a rubber band around the two knobs will work well at keeping the doors closed on the road. I also stoped short making the doors slide too freely in the tracks, a bit of friction here is not really a bad thing..... :D Of course as my trailer remains unfiished, I may find that I have a problem with my "solution".......... :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby dacrazyrn » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:42 pm

My first thought was a window sash lock
These are antique ones, but the idea...Here
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques