Tire size

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Tire size

Postby martymcfly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm

I will have to agree with Grant about the liability. Sprint car racers have been using wheel spacers for years without many problems. That is an extreme application and I have never seen a failure. However, on a trailer, they may put a little more stress on your wheel bearings. JMHO.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby kenafp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:37 pm

Grant, thanks!
One question, though.
Are your spacers lug centric or hub centric?
Last edited by kenafp on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good life!
Ken

Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60665
kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:12 pm

kenafp wrote:Grandma, thanks!
One question, though.
Are your spacers lug centric or hub centric?

Mine are lug centric, Ken ... as I believe most are. It seems to me (though I'm not an expert on this) that in order to be hub centric, the spacers would have had to been machined to the exact specs of your hub. I had some problems early on with the custom wheels on the front of my Saturn, and they were solved by getting a pair of hub centric "rings" (not spacers) that properly centered the wheels to the Saturn's hubs ... didn't need them on the rear (which would essentially be the same as on a trailer).

Hope that made sense ... ;) ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby kenafp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Oops! I'm sorry my auto correct called you Grandma! My ultimate apologies!
It's a good life!
Ken

kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kenafp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 pm

Redfaced... :shock: :oops: :roll:
It's a good life!
Ken

kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:05 pm

kenafp wrote:Oops! I'm sorry my auto correct called you Grandma! My ultimate apologies!

kenafp wrote:Redfaced... :shock: :oops: :roll:

Not a problem, Ken ... I've been called worse and been O.K. with it ... :D ...! Kay's grandson calls me Grantpa ... you're close enough, so I'll let you get aways with it ... this time! ... ;)

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby kenafp » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:25 pm

Alright. So, I was advised to use the red Loctite to secure the lug nuts (which I haven't done yet).
But I have a question about this...would the blue Loctite be more appropriate since I would be expecting to repack the bearings more often when using wheel spacers? It seems as though the red Loctite is mean to be permanent, or at least able to come off if exposed to 450 degrees for 10 minutes. And removed while hot.
The blue stuff says it can be used for removable nuts.

Thoughts?
It's a good life!
Ken

kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grant whipp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 am

Hey, Ken!

Is that "advice" from the wheel spacer mfg. ... :thinking: ...? I have never ever used any kind of thread lock goo on any of my lugnuts, and I've never ever had a problem! Even the thousands and thousands of miles I've put on that personal teardrop of mine with the wheel spacers. Wheels have to come off from time-to-time, so I just do NOT understand why anyone would recommend using any kind of Loctite on them (unless it was some kind of lubricant that kept them from seizing) ... :? ...!

CHEERS!
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby kenafp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:23 am

Grant, that makes more sense
It's a good life!
Ken

kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:35 am

Loctite for use on lug nuts would be nuts! Especially red loctite. Red requires application of heat to disassemble. The only place I use it is things I donot want to take apart... studs that thread into an engine block for example. Wheel lug nuts stay tight when properly torqued. Buy a torque wrench and use it and be sure to recheck torque a couple of times after initial tightening; say @ 10 and 50 miles. Checl trailer/vehicle mfg for recommendations.

Possibly using loctite for the nuts that secure spacers... but even then I personally would not do that. I'd remove the wheels and retorque a couple of times.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kenafp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:37 am

It's a good life!
Ken

kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:46 am

Wheel studs are of the fine thread variety and are less prone to loosening from vibration of everyday use, I agree with Grant that proper torquing will insure trouble free service. Here's a cut and paste that explains it way better than I:

Fine threaded bolts are stronger than the corresponding coarse threaded bolts of the same hardness. This is in both tension and shear due to the fine threaded bolts having a slightly larger tensile stress area and minor diameter.

Fine threads have less tendency to loosen under vibration due to their having a smaller helix angle than coarse threads. Fine thread Locking Insert grip coils are more flexible than coarse thread insert corresponding size grip coils, and are less likely to take a set under vibration conditions.

Fine threads because of their finer pitch allow for finer adjustments in those applications that need this characteristic.

Fine threads can be more easily tapped into difficult to tap materials, and thin walled sections.

Fine threads require less tightening torque to develop equivalent preloads to the corresponding coarse thread bolt sizes.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm

... and don't forget, specified torque values are always based on clean dry threads unless a specific lubricant is specified. Any lubricant, including certain plating materials will reduce the friction, and therefore require a lower torque value to achieve the desired stretch.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:12 pm

this product is only intended for off-highway use.

That's lawyer speak. We live in a litigious society. I sold an airplane I built. I probably should have sold it with the caveat; "This device is not intended to be operated above the surface of the earth."

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kenafp » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:02 am

I installed the 2 inch spacers and noticed that it set my wheels about an inch away from the brackets. The only issue is that the clearance I have to get it out of the garage is only about a 1/4 inch on both sides. Plus when I measured my fenders, there's a bit of the tire that isn't covered.
I ordered 1 inch spacers, this time hub centric. I'll see how that works.
How much clearance should I have away from the side of the frame to the tires? Would 1/2 inch work?
Last edited by kenafp on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good life!
Ken

kenafp
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques