Tongue Box

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby jim7310 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:49 am

Madjack,

The design of your box looks to be exactally what I am looking for. I don't suppose you have any measured drawings handy? :twisted:

I really like have the pass-through to the cabin on top so it can be easily access - what kind of interior doors did you use in the cabin?

Also, how useful is the lower space in the box? having access from two side doors would seem to limit what you could put in there.

Thanks again,
Jim
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:10 am

Jim I have no drawings to share...it was all worked out on the bench...the box is 3'wide 2'tall 15"deep...the arc at top is 1'. The whole box, which includes the front bulkhead was bench built as a single unit for installation...it was installed using cleats...the interior doors are simply the cutouts in the front bulkhead, they are hinged at the bottom to allow them to be used as a "drink" tray when sittin in the door of the TD...having 2 access doors on the outside allows you to put whatever will fit and still be able to get to it from either side...even if it bounces to the farside...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jim7310 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:12 am

Madjack,

Did you skin the exterior of the trailer and then attach the box? I am curious how you achive a good weather-proof seal between the box and the bulkhead. Does the flex of the tongue have to be accounted for in the design of the seal?

Jim
jim7310
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:21 am

Jim, the way it is constucted, the box is the bulkhead...it is not connected to the tongue but sits inbetween cleats on the floor and sides, tying them all together...constuction hasn't been completed, so I can't give specific detail, but the plan is to skin the body first, leaving a flange at the box(top & sides) that the skin on the box will overlap...there are some trim details still to be worked out...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques