Mounting floor to trailer.....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby IraRat » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:53 am

HAH!

Cutting wood at 3AM is nothing--wait till you start drilling those HOLES in the steel trailer! They take forever, and the cheap Black and Decker bit works better than the titanium one. (There's a drilling oil/liquid you can use to speed it up, but I never tried it.)

I'm sure you'll be fine with the AC as far as water coming into the cabin...I was referring to water drip that comes FROM the AC, from condensation. I don't know when you last used a window unit (they're pretty extinct here in South Florida), but they can really drip a lot water--so you want to make sure it isn't dripping onto your beautiful construction and under your mattress!

If you check out the instructions for the AC, I'm sure it's mentioned there. I think it's a simple matter of installing it at a slight pitch, gravity pulling it away from the trailer, and using a small plastic hose/tube or something to carry it away, or straight down below your floor.

I'm going with straight 120 volts AC throughout, no DC, so I'm going to design the galley with that in mind. (Anywhere I go will have power.) I'm installing a low profile (short) water tank on the top shelf, to gravity feed the faucet and sink. Putting in a microwave and regular refrigerator, with possibly a small fan to cool the fridge. (Don't know if it will be necessary.) And finally, a dual burner camping stove.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*************NEWS FLASH*****************************

After composing and submitting this post, I saw this awesome dual burner range AND oven combo that Mexican Tear is using. A real oven--now THAT'S cool. Another example that when it comes to designing your TD, you're going to change your mind a hundred times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus storage, of course.

The trick is doing all of this so it looks nice. I've seen a lot of sloppy galleys, but of course, maybe those are the most practical anyway! I just figure the galley is 90% of the purpose of this for me and the family--wife and two boys. (Me? I'll be sleeping in the truck bed with a tent topper!)

I just want to make it easy to hitch it up and head out for a night at the spur of the moment. The beers and drinks can go in a cooler, but packing eggs, steaks, etc. in a cooler can be real pain--so into the fridge for that. Pots, pans and cutlery can go into my box in the truckbed, where I currently store NOTHING, so that will be a big plus for me.

And THIS is why I just bought my 4th truck. (In a row--not all at once.)
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby The R/C Man » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:19 pm

Hey!

Sounds good.... It will be like you never left the house...

I installed a window AC in the house last year. I did what you mentioned. It is installed at a slight angle. The same will be done in the TD with a hose added to drain any water through the floor onto the ground. It is pretty dry up here so it doesn't condence to much water.

Oh, I ended up buying 2x2 for the frame as opposed to the 2x4's. Mounting them to the trailer won't be a problem because the trailer has pre drilled mounting holes.. :)
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby GregJ » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:30 pm

IraRat, when you drill steel, always use oil... 3-in-1, old motor oil almost anything will work. Much feaster to drill and your bits will last longer. I start with a pilot hole around 1/8th and work my way up.

Try it, you'll like it. :thumbsup:

Greg
Greg Jones
GregJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby IraRat » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:33 am

GregJ wrote:IraRat, when you drill steel, always use oil... 3-in-1, old motor oil almost anything will work. Much feaster to drill and your bits will last longer. I start with a pilot hole around 1/8th and work my way up.

Try it, you'll like it. :thumbsup:

Greg

Now you tell me.

Well, I'm back from Disney and time to start thinking about building again. And I WILL do it that way when mounting floor to trailer.

That's like 14 more holes!
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques