Options for roofing?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Mike, it is a Toyota 4X4 extended cab truck with a V6. I guess I would be more concerned if the axle I have can handle it. It is a Dexter #9 torsion axle rated for, I think, up to around 2,500 lbs.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:23 pm

Sounds like you can build it... I would guess the weight of a 6x12 would be around 1600#.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:57 pm

Mike, I played around a bit more with the sketch and made it a little shorter and only 11' long, and I placed it resting on the frame. I would love to get your opinion on it. I also posted a simple layout design for the interior.

http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=1340
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=1341

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Hey Amy,

Looking at the interior layout... the table doesn't need to be 6' long. 3' is plenty...

The L shaped counter will take away a lot of valuable standing space, plus make it hard to slide into the far bench... I would try to work in a straight counter instead of an L shaped one.

The outside profile looks fine. At 11' it's exactly as long as a tab, and you'll save some weight doing that...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:13 pm

Thanks for all of your help Mike,

Amy :)
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby AmyH » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Mike, I never asked, but do you think a footwell, like in your design, would work with the axle that I have? The more I think about it, the more I like your design, since it keeps the plywood to 10' lengths. Any chance you could take your drawing and incorporate a front end similar to what I drew? I like the idea of being able to put a window up front over the galley. I have also come to the decision that I can rework the chassis that I already started, I am no longer adverse to cutting it in order to rebuild it. This may also give me a chance to still do wood sides with an inlay. I was starting to think that if I used 3/4" plywood on a 12X6 design, it would get mighty heavy. :shock:

Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby AmyH » Mon May 02, 2005 11:02 am

Okay, I sat down and tried to figure out how much more it would cost to go as large as I was thinking, and it seems that it is cost prohibitive at this time, so.....I think I have finally made up my mind. I am sticking to the teardrop, but I am going to go a little wider, either 5' or 6'. Thanks for all of the suggestions on this. I have a feeling that I will probably end up building the larger one down the line when there is a little more cashflow coming in.

Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques