What about not having a galley

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:14 am

Kathleen--how did you get your money back if the guy cashed it?

Also, I don't think it's illegal to postdate a check. The person shouldn't DEPOSIT it and the bank shouldn't have ACCEPTED it.

Usually, these things work out for the better, though. There was probably some bad energy there.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Kathleen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:21 am

bledsoe3 wrote:quote]is there a website for the coca cola trailer?

Try this. http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=472
Jim[/quote]>>>>

well i searched high and low on that website. And nothing about it being for sale.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:16 am

Kathleen, I think they mentioned that it was for sale in the Texas gathering thread.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Kathleen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:17 am

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote:Kathleen, I think they mentioned that it was for sale in the Texas gathering thread.
>>>>
ok thank you
but from the looks of it
it is probably more than I could afford
but I will see
K
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:19 pm

Kathleen wrote:[
is there a website for the coca cola trailer?
dang, I am a diehard pepsi fan. lol
I will do a search for the little guy place in cedar park. That's close
Kathleen

I think everyone has answered the first question and posted the website.
That's OK, Linda said that she doesn't drink Cocoa Cola, mainly Dr Pepper.
I've never seen anything about the place in Cedar Park. I only know because I've driven by and saw the trailers out front.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kathleen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Thank you all! But as you can guess being here in Texas right now all our efforts are focused on helping the victims of the hurricane. I will be taking in a family this weekend since I havea guest room.
They are pouring in by the droves.
I beg each and every person that lives in texas to take someone in if they have room.
And I am sure that someone would love to have a bedroom in your teardrop.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Removing the galley

Postby txturbo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:09 am

bdosborn wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the galley bulkhead acts as a big brace for the trailer walls. Our walls got * a lot * stronger when I installed the framing for the bulkhead. You might think about finishing the rest of the trailer and just provision for a galley. That way, you can camp in it awhile and then add the galley later if you decide you need it. My guess is that you'll end up adding one. For us, the galley is what makes our Teardrop so much fun to camp in.
Bruce

You can't remove the bulkhead completely for structural reasons. But you could remove most of it. If I were going to do it, on the bottom I would leave enough to match the height of your mattress, leave 6 inches on the other 3 sides. If removed completely, after just one road trip the hatch wouldn't open and close anymore. All the stress would be transferred to the corner joints and wouldn't last very long. It would be like a cardboard box without the ends.
I have a vintage tear drop that I got from my father-in-law. He and his brother removed the galley and bulkhead to gain extra leg room. Everytime it gets towed it gets weaker. Its so weak, when I got it from him I didn't tow it. I used a flat bed trailer to haul it home and it still was weakened from the trip. So when I get around to replacing the plywood in the floor I'm going to add the bulkhead back in and build a new galley.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vinoscooter » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:51 pm

Im realley paying attention to this post, as i don't have a galley for support..I don't have a rear hatch eighter..I Have allready cut a 2x6 that I planed on putting side to side where bulkhead would be..but i mainly wanted it there to keep the matress from sliding back..Now im not so sure..Maybe a complete interior frame like TXTURBO recomends might be the way to go...My basic galley frameing is allready there..1x4 sides,& 2x4 across the top..I just don't want a galley..framed it just in case i changed my mind...So i guess put the 2x6 across the floor, tie it in to the roof 2x4..w/another 1x4 on top the 2 allready up the sides...& on top of doing that..would actually put a cabinet acroos the top useing the 2x4 to screw into..Does this make any since? :) As mentioned,this could be very important in the long run...Even though no problems as of now... :thinking: Won't need to make the decision tell next spring..Any other ideas?..to support non galley t&ttt's?
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby RKH » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:30 am

Just as a data point, the Little Guy trailer makes two models that have no interior bracing as provided by galley or caabinets. One is their utility/cargo model and one is the Camo model. I don't know if there is additional strengthening added elswhere or if the fact that they are smaller than your average teardrop make up for it.
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby Mitheral » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:37 pm

IraRat wrote:Also, I don't think it's illegal to postdate a check. The person shouldn't DEPOSIT it and the bank shouldn't have ACCEPTED it.

The way my accountant explained it is that technically a post dated cheque is a kind of cheque fraud if the writer doesn't have the money in the bank when written. This is why stores/banks get away with charging you outrageous NSF fees. In practical terms it is also totally worthless until you've actually got your money from the deposit. Most cheques are proccessed with the barest glance by a human being.

The correct procedure is to properly date the cheque and then write on the back "Do not process/accept for deposit until foo" where foo=the date you're going to have the money in the account.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

pull apart

Postby jay » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:13 pm

do we think in compression only? remember strength can be had by tension and shear components. if a bulkhead is left out, complimentary strength could be gained by a threaded rod or rod(s) & turnbuckle. i would pay particular attention to the joint at the walls & roof and make effort to make it as rigid as possible. then the bulkhead can be modified or penetrated with apetures as required.
jay
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:35 am

Mitheral wrote:The way my accountant explained it is that technically a post dated cheque is a kind of cheque fraud if the writer doesn't have the money in the bank when written. This is why stores/banks get away with charging you outrageous NSF fees. In practical terms it is also totally worthless until you've actually got your money from the deposit. Most cheques are proccessed with the barest glance by a human being.

The correct procedure is to properly date the cheque and then write on the back "Do not process/accept for deposit until foo" where foo=the date you're going to have the money in the account.

I'll tell you what's weird about this:

Don't most retail stores use some kind of automated check processing service to confirm the validity of the account, and also, I THINK, something to do with creditworthiness?

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to Home Depot on a Thursday afternoon, paid by check, but the funds from my salary direct deposit are not there until overnight that evening. I used to think that these services were kind of an automatic deduction thing, but I guess not, because the funds AREN'T there until hours later.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques