Wall construction?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Fred.

Thanks for that link. One thing I have learned here is how much I don't know about so much stuff! <g> It is too bad that companies cannot organize like this board where, for the most part, you SHARE what you know with others.

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:39 pm

kayakrguy wrote:One thing I notice consistently is that stuff mentioned here--for example, 11-12-13 ply for 1/2-3/4 inch ply is simply off the wall in terms of what is in stock hereabouts at the big boxes or even mill shops serving contratractors.

There is an Arauco (spelling) 1/2" (15/32 really) at one Lowe's near here, rated as 'cabinet grade' and it has, I recall, 7 or 8 ply.

Once you move off the big box stuff hereabouts, you head to the special order desk and then you get the minimum order problem. If I was building TD's for a living it would be fine to order but hello? not for one.....but wait a minute! Madjack, you running a business school for wannabe builders? <g>

I'm retired, so this could be a new job to lose money at--like dairy farming <G> (except it isn't funny for the farmers)

Jim

This is true but you have to check the local mom & pop type lumber suppliers. I couldn't find most of the stuff I needed at the big boxes but when I started a local search, I found exactly what I needed.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:17 pm

asianflava,

I should have been more specific. The 'special order desk' I was referring to WAS the mom and pop places hereabouts...of which there are not a lot and even they cater mostly to contractors. They are the ones who want minimum orders. The big boxes don't even look at one or two sheet special orders--at least not hereabouts...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:19 pm

Madjack and folks,

Home Depot locally sells an 8 foot section of 1"x1"x1/8" aluminum angle for $37.97. That seems very pricey to me. Those of you who have bought aluminum angle--does that seem crazy? It does to me, but then this is the first time I have ever been in the market for aluminum angle<g> Caviar might have the same effect <g>

Thanks,

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:00 pm

kayakrguy wrote:Madjack and folks,

Home Depot locally sells an 8 foot section of 1"x1"x1/8" aluminum angle for $37.97. That seems very pricey to me. Those of you who have bought aluminum angle--does that seem crazy? It does to me, but then this is the first time I have ever been in the market for aluminum angle<g> Caviar might have the same effect <g>

Thanks,

Jim
    :thinking: Yup, Keep on shopping, Jim. Finding just the right part seems to take at least half the time spent building a TD!
    Different size, but an example: 3/4"x3/4"x1/8"x16' + $8.50 at the local steel & pipe supply. (Deduct 30% for AK colony rates. :roll: )
    Are you using aluminim in your walls?
    Fred :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:57 am

kayakrguy wrote:Madjack and folks,

Thanks,

Jim

Yes that price is crazy. I just looked at my reciept and I got a 16ft stick for $21. I needed to get some security screws for my windows so I made a trip to Fastenal. I was browsing around and saw that they sell aluminum and steel. You might want to check them.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 am

Guys , I saw some really nice 1 1/2" Aluminum C channel that was welded into a frame .... made me think immediately of Aluminum TD frame with panels inserted into the channel frame .... SIMPLE !!! STRONG!!!But probably expensive ...??? crumbs for thought ....
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:49 pm

GPW wrote:Guys , I saw some really nice 1 1/2" Aluminum C channel that was welded into a frame .... made me think immediately of Aluminum TD frame with panels inserted into the channel frame .... SIMPLE !!! STRONG!!!But probably expensive ...??? crumbs for thought ....

Darn good idea. :lol: I was looking at Lowes and noticed the square tubing. Don't know what it takes to weld but boy would it be lite. Like no weight at all.
:thinking:
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:58 am

Welding aluminum requires special eqpt... and for a really strong frame( and light) that might be worth it to some ... especially if you can Fab the frame yourself ... might require a bending jig , but you could easily do even the double curvies TD's ... COOL !!! panels could be 1/2"/3/4" foam/1/4" paneling (inside)... slip into channeling and secure with sealer/screws... Easy if you have the tools /work area...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:27 pm

:twisted: I don't know if I would do aluminum frame. I have a small trailer out of al. and it could be twisted real easy. I think if you could use as wall framing, cabinetts, and spars it would cut an awful lot of weight. My stack of framing is getting heavy. :(

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:11 am

Miri... It would depend on the frame design and materials used .... Don't worry about the weight , nobody 's got one as heavy as mine , but it works fine ... If you're counting , you have to put the TD on WeightWatchers and weigh everything , and write it down ... weekly meetings with your peers (us ) to discuss weight saving measures... Just remember the more you put in now , the less you can put in later ... just like a diet , eh ???? ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby riverfront » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:53 pm

Can 3/4 ply walls be mounted with pocket screws? Are the ply walls, inhearent in itself, a ploblem for pocket screwing or is there a better way?

I see L brackets and 1'x and AL corner moldings so what is best?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:07 pm

GPW wrote:Miri... It would depend on the frame design and materials used .... Don't worry about the weight , nobody 's got one as heavy as mine , but it works fine ... If you're counting , you have to put the TD on WeightWatchers and weigh everything , and write it down ... weekly meetings with your peers (us ) to discuss weight saving measures... Just remember the more you put in now , the less you can put in later ... just like a diet , eh ???? ;)

:rofl: I thought that what we were doing. Isn't this the meeting of peers :QM :shake hands: :lol: You have a truck to pull yours with. My van already sits low and is a 6 cylinder.

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Bruce, whatever works for you is probably "best"...with pocket screw, you do run the risk of splitting the ply so be sure to use adhesive also and to put the screws in every 4 or so inches...we used 1" Al angle, running the full length of the wall, glued and screwed every 6"s as cleats for mounting the wall and floor together(and bulkheads and cabinets) (no sandwich constuction for floor or walls)...it worked very well for us and added about 20bucks to the construction costs...cheap for a VERY solid wall/floor connection system...
madjack 8)

p.s. we wiped the AL down with thinner and scuffed up the surface...we used gorilla glue since they claim it is for metals as well as wood, applying it to the AL. angle and dampening the wood...
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby riverfront » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks MJ!!! Looks like the secure way is AL! Thanks for all the tips!

MJ - Off subject: Does this forum have a Library? I am a member on a catfish and model railroad forums and they have libraries! A place where all of one subject is pulled together by mods to act as a reference - ie... in this case walls like in this thread - all good info about walls (not complete threads) is gathered in mini threads(of pertinant(sp)information) under a library catigory of walls and so on? All usless info and well wishing gets kicked to the curb! LOL

I know this would be a project and one that would need loads of helpers but the info is here, it just needs to be gleened from all the years of posting!

How many times have we seen a post, I know this has been asked before and I did a search for X but I can't find it so---. Yah! Right!, after the first half page they ask the question to save hours of reading!

Thanks!!!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques