Walls: Insulate or not???

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Walls: Insulate or not???

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:48 pm

Hey Gang,

Looking over a few forum albums and saw a "story bought" TD in the making. It looked like they used maybe 3/4" for walls with no insulation except for the roof and I assume the floor.

I think just about everyone is in agreement to insulating the floor and roof, but what about the walls? The 3/4" ply walls sounds really good to me until I try and pick up a 3/4" sheet.

So, what is the collective wisdom on walls here. Maybe 1/2" ply only or go with the 1/4" sandwich with the foam middle. AND WHY????

Remember camping in Iowa with a group and a couple of the gang slept in the back of the truck with a fiberglass top. Next morning it reminded me of a rain forest without the trees.

TIA to all who respond,

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:50 pm

:oops: If you have 1/2" ply walls only, how did you do the doors? It would seem to me that 1/2" ply door would be less than adequate.

Hmmm... maybe answering my own question here. :oops:

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:05 am

I've built several ways now...

I did a 1/2" plywood, foam insulation, and 1/4" skin... It was okay.

I did a solid 3/4" wall. It was heavy.

I did a 1/4" wall, with 1x studs in it. It's the lightest, most affordable wall so far, and the straightest too.

The wall that Steve is going to build will be 1/4" wall with 1x studs in it, and 3/4" foam glued to the inside with titebond for extra strength.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby nater104 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:43 pm

mikeschn wrote:
I did a 1/4" wall, with 1x studs in it. It's the lightest, most affordable wall so far, and the straightest too.

Which of your creations was built like that? Can you point me towards pics? I'm sure you have some of it somewhere no matter what it is :)
Nathan -~- In the Lehigh Valley, PA
1966 15' Scotty Gaucho
1973 Apache Ramada
2008 Jayco 19H
nater104
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:56 pm

I have 1/4" exterior, 3/4" studs, 1/8" interior (high R insulation).... I pre-built the wall systems on work table. When I lifted one end (104" long), there was no noticeable sag from end to end... very strong and I could lift the wall by myself.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:19 pm

arnereil wrote:I have 1/4" exterior, 3/4" studs, 1/8" interior (high R insulation).... I pre-built the wall systems on work table. When I lifted one end (104" long), there was no noticeable sag from end to end... very strong and I could lift the wall by myself.

That is exactly what I want to do. I am having a problem finding 1/8 ply at my home mega stores though. Did you glue the insulation to both faces? I want to Vacuum bag the wall panels but I need the inside 1/8 ply first. I may play with smaller pieces first, maybe he inside cabinets.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:52 am

I live near Hartford, CT, and had to make 5 calls before I found a lumber yard, cabinet maker supplier who had 1/8". I bought 11 sheets for inside and doubled up on the outside curve.... It takes some ropes, braces, and muscle to get the job done, but it works well....

Don't give up. The big boxes don't seem to carry it. Another supplier said they could order it, but I did find it about 12 miles away.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:50 pm

I used 1/2" plywood outside wall with 1 1/2" stiffners and 1/4"interior wall with 1 1/2" insulation in the walls, doors and the floor. In the roof I used r-19 fiberglass isulation I had left over from job I had laying around. Let me tell you it is dead quiet in there. No condensation problems in the mourning and with a/c very comfortable in the Florida sunshine. Other than the space lost because of the additional wall thickness. I would do it again on the next one. I wish I could post a picture, but, don't have the ability at the moment

Woody
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby darkroomsource » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:02 am

I have 3/4" walls - 4x10 sheets on sale for less than 4x8 1/2"
The roof is 1/4".
The floor is 1 1/4" - 4x10 sheet on sale for less than 4x8 3/4"
There is no insulation.
I have to open the windows to keep it from getting too hot at night, and to stop condensation.
We have thick blankets, but that's more because my wife is cold when it's 70 degrees.
I have tent camped in freezing conditions - no insulation - and relied upon the sleeping bag, usually by morning the bag is open and I'm trying to cool off.

I saw where someone calculated how much heat the average person puts out per hour and determined that the temperature in an average teardrop would be around 65 degrees within one hour, even if the walls, ceiling and floor were 1/8" plywood.
-- Andy Hughes
My Teardrop
<><
Grace Happens
darkroomsource
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:29 am

nater104 wrote:
mikeschn wrote:

Which of your creations was built like that? Can you point me towards pics? I'm sure you have some of it somewhere no matter what it is :)

That's the squared weekender...

I guess I haven't collected all the photos on a page yet... but here's what it looks like...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques