Galley hatch modification

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Galley hatch modification

Postby rooster » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:32 pm

I've been following Miriam's thread about her galley hatch with interest.
I used the hinge from Grant Whipp (the flat huricane one) and was under the impression that it would seal better than the 1/4" offset one.
I did not put the 1/4" step on the galley radius, and now there is no room for the hatch seal. My qusetion; What is the best way too rectify my error?

P.S. The tear worked well on our honeymoon!!

Jim, :roll:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
User avatar
rooster
Donating Member
 
Posts: 459
Images: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: Soldotna, Alaska

Re: Galley hatch modification

Postby Ira » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:26 pm

rooster wrote:P.S. The tear worked well on our honeymoon!!



It's still in one piece?
Here we go again!
User avatar
Ira
Forum Storyteller
 
Posts: 5652
Images: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:16 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Galley hatch modification

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:44 pm

rooster wrote:I've been following Miriam's thread about her galley hatch with interest.
I used the hinge from Grant Whipp (the flat huricane one) and was under the impression that it would seal better than the 1/4" offset one.
I did not put the 1/4" step on the galley radius, and now there is no room for the hatch seal. My qusetion; What is the best way too rectify my error?

P.S. The tear worked well on our honeymoon!!

Jim, :roll:


Jim, Get yourself a 1/4" rabbet bit and from the outside route a 1/4" rabbet half way into the side of your tear. I'm assuming you have a plywood and aluminum lip there. After it is rabbeted get a flush top bearing router bit and run the bearing in the rabbet you just made and it will remove the remander of the material you are trying to remove. That's the way I would do it. :hammer: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Image
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
User avatar
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper
 
Posts: 5517
Images: 175
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:02 pm
Location: Washington , Pew-al-up
Top

Re: Galley hatch modification

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:11 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
rooster wrote:I've been following Miriam's thread about her galley hatch with interest.
I used the hinge from Grant Whipp (the flat huricane one) and was under the impression that it would seal better than the 1/4" offset one.
I did not put the 1/4" step on the galley radius, and now there is no room for the hatch seal. My qusetion; What is the best way too rectify my error?

P.S. The tear worked well on our honeymoon!!

Jim, :roll:


Jim, Get yourself a 1/4" rabbet bit and from the outside route a 1/4" rabbet half way into the side of your tear. I'm assuming you have a plywood and aluminum lip there. After it is rabbeted get a flush top bearing router bit and run the bearing in the rabbet you just made and it will remove the remander of the material you are trying to remove. That's the way I would do it. :hammer: Danny

That's the way I did it but used a 3/8" bit.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
User avatar
Sonetpro
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2038
Images: 107
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:11 am
Location: Plantersville, TX
Top

Postby john » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:17 pm

I painted myself into the same corner :D

My solution was to cover the tear from the front lower edge to the top of the hatch with hard board twice. The first layer gave me the 1/4" gap for the trim and seals and the second layer kept the hatch and roof on the same plane. In essence I built up a notch rather than cut it out of my galley sides.

I added a few pounds to the tear due to my mistake but I ended up with a tear I can walk around on for what ever that is worth.

Image

I had gotten those curves just the way I wanted and couldn't risk screwing them up with my router. I could just see getting away from me.

worked for me
Last edited by john on Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
User avatar
john
500 Club
 
Posts: 663
Images: 261
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:26 pm
Location: eden nc
Top

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:23 pm

:thinking:
Better believe I am watching. 8) :twisted: Just keep um coming.

Rooster, I don't have a router so I am planning early. I hope you get your fix. :o :lol:

Happy Camping
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
User avatar
Miriam C.
our Aunti M
 
Posts: 19675
Images: 148
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Southwest MO
Top

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:51 pm

Miriam C. wrote::thinking:
Better believe I am watching. 8) :twisted: Just keep um coming.

Rooster, I don't have a router so I am planning early. I hope you get your fix. :o :lol:

Happy Camping
Miriam


Actually using a router the way I described is the best way to keep everything at a perfect measurement and the radius comes out perfect. Using a jig saw is not as accurate and easy to screw things up. A lot of water attacks that area. A $100 trim router would do the job. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Image
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
User avatar
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper
 
Posts: 5517
Images: 175
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:02 pm
Location: Washington , Pew-al-up
Top

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:09 pm

$> :disappointed: :worship:
Now if I could just learn to buy a lottery ticket. :?

I will seal the edges extra good. How's that.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
User avatar
Miriam C.
our Aunti M
 
Posts: 19675
Images: 148
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Southwest MO
Top

Postby JIML1943 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:29 pm

Just a thought but since you are so far along can't you just get a piece of 1/4"alum. flat bar and put it under the hinge on the cabin side.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Image
Happy camping Jim & Barbara
User avatar
JIML1943
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 230
Images: 71
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:22 am
Location: Lexington,N.C.At highrock lake
Top

Postby Jiminsav » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:54 pm

My hatch fits so good, i'm gonna use a real thin piece of rubber seal on the hatch and the edge to seal it up..should work out ok.

on second thought, i'll use some tite bond on the wood edge, and just the thin rubber seal on the lid...yeah, thats the ticket.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
User avatar
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club
 
Posts: 3053
Images: 30
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:49 pm
Location: Georgia, Savannah
Top

Postby Hamcan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:25 pm

I have also painted myself into the same corner and plan to use the two Jim's solution. Flat bar under the cabin side of the hinge and a skinny seaL. Don't have Grants hinge yet, somewhere in shipping but will mock up with temporary butt hinge tomorrow and see if the fit is ok.
JG
Hamcan
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 144
Images: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:39 pm
Location: North of the 49th.
Top

Galley hatch mod . . . .

Postby rooster » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:22 am

Well, Everyone gave me some great choices to muld over,
1. rotor. 2. 1/4" alum. shim, and 3. thin rubber seal. :thinking:

#3 sounds the easiest. #2 will take a little more effort and #1 will take some doing and I'll have to make sure not to scratch the skin.

Thanks all . . . .

Jim, :thumbsup:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
User avatar
rooster
Donating Member
 
Posts: 459
Images: 42
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: Soldotna, Alaska
Top


Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests