Cutting out doors/hatch--need advice...!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:12 am

I have never, ever, been hurt by the square corner on my door...

I have been hurt many times by entering the tear and hitting my head on the top of the door frame.. too many times to count...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Boodro » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:25 pm

On my door corners , I took a file & rounded off the corners with a few quick strokes. I have yet to have an incident. I made my doors for easy in & out, I liked the round doors too , but decided that funcinality far outweighed looks. Just me. Good luck . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ic_id=1744[img]

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ic_id=1742[img]

Not real clear ,but hope it helps.[/img]
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:32 pm

Arne, it is a mental/psychological thing with me...just knowing those points are there make certain body parts just crawl.... :frightened:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:46 pm

Boodro wrote:On my door corners , I took a file & rounded off the corners with a few quick strokes. I have yet to have an incident. I made my doors for easy in & out, I liked the round doors too , but decided that funcinality far outweighed looks. Just me. Good luck . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ic_id=1744[img]

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ic_id=1742[img]

Not real clear ,but hope it helps.[/img]

:applause: I just knew if I watched this long enough someone would give up a great idea with pictures. 8)

Great pictures Boo
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

'pocket cutting' (?) with jig and rotary saw-experiment...

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:07 pm

Boo and everyone,

Thanks for the pics. I share MJ and Arne's concern for body parts including my head which already has enough wrong with it <g>

I tried advice you all gave about cutting with rotary and jig saw without drilling etc...here are my results. I AM NOT assuming these are typical, which is why I would appreciate your experience here...

1) rotary saw a bit difficult to line up...I did not use a guide, I just wanted to get an idea of how the cut would go...but it cuts great, very little splintering on the bottom side of the ply...of course, it is a more powerful saw than the jig...2.4 horse/5K rpm vs 5.5 amps/3.2spm

2) Jig a bit easier to line up; with heavier, coarser 'quik cut' blades, I got quite a bit of bad breakthrough on the bottom, though the cut itself went very smoothly.

3) Jig with finer cut blades didn't break through nearly as much, but the cut was not nearly as straight and the finer cut blades tended to bend...

Overall, I was quite pleased with the practice cuts, but would appreciate any advice about the breakthrough/splintering problem with the jig saw...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: 'pocket cutting' (?) with jig and rotary saw-experiment.

Postby tonyj » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:16 pm

kayakrguy wrote:Overall, I was quite pleased with the practice cuts, but would appreciate any advice about the breakthrough/splintering problem with the jig saw...

Jim

From my experience, to get a non-splinter cut with a jigsaw and plywood, you have to hold your jaw in perfect alignment with the magnetic poles. In addition, put the good side down--the saw cuts on the way up and will splinter mostly on the top side. You will also always have more splintering on the crossgrain cuts. Putting masking tape on the wood and drawing and cutting your cut line helps, but there will still be some splintering. Don't force the saw, cut slowly.

I have always found it hard to cut straight and square with a jig saw, so it helps there will be trim around your door and opening. What I haven't seen addressed here is the amount of gap around the perimeter of the door and teardrop side. I think you have to make sure to allow for the thickness of the door and side trim pieces, possible gap for the hinge (piano or flush mount), and enough gap on the latch side so the door will open freely. Top and bottom door gaps aren't as critical as the sides. I would love to hear what others have done--I went to the extreme of a template and router to create an almost 1/4" gap around the entire door. That's 1/8 for the trim pieces (2 pieces 1/16 thick) and an 1/8 for gap that I figure will be violated by the curves in my trim pieces (I am using rounded corners).

Round corners? Is that like saying hot water heater?
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:21 pm

...we had built our doors with a 1/4 gap using the same considerations that you did...when we did the dry fit we found that we needed 5/16 to keep from having clearance problems...an easy fix at that point and the reason you should always dry fit EVERYTHING...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:30 pm

My life seems to be ruled by sixteenths! I'm either 1/16 too long or short, tall or wide, thick or thin. Who invented them damn sixteenths?! :x
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:46 pm

tonyj wrote:My life seems to be ruled by sixteenths! I'm either 1/16 too long or short, tall or wide, thick or thin. Who invented them damn sixteenths?! :x

...well if it weren't fo the 16ths the it would be a doubling of the 32nds...not to mention everything we could do with silly millimeters :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Re: 'pocket cutting' (?) with jig and rotary saw-experiment.

Postby scopeaddict » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:00 am

When i was doing custom cabnet instals, id take a razor knife and pre-cut my line, as deep as i could,
then using the jig-saw, or skill saw cut the knife line slowly,
staying to one side of the line, if the lines on the left of the saw-blade,
the right will get the splinters, so chose yr side before cutting,
theres less splintering, as youve relieved the up-pressure of the cut at the top,

easyer said than done, but can be done,

johnp

From my experience, to get a non-splinter cut with a jigsaw and plywood, you have to hold your jaw in perfect alignment with the magnetic poles. In addition, put the good side down--the saw cuts on the way up and will splinter mostly on the top side. You will also always have more splintering on the crossgrain cuts. Putting masking tape on the wood and drawing and cutting your cut line helps, but there will still be some splintering. Don't force the saw, cut slowly.
Deep Sky imaging and need a warm place to curl up,
Have 4-angry squirrels powering a Jeep YJ,
will travel, eventualy,,grin
scopeaddict
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:05 am

JP, hit the quote button at the top of the post you wish to quote from...the software will do the typing for you...alott easier than doing it yourself...you can also delete or highlight those portions you wish...try it, you'll like it :D
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:09 am

madjack wrote
...we had built our doors with a 1/4 gap using the same considerations that you did...when we did the dry fit we found that we needed 5/16 to keep from having clearance problems.

Jack, did you use the 5/16" gap measurement all the way around or just make the doors 5/16" smaller total ? Thanks :thumbsup:
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sid » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:33 am

madjack wrote:JP, hit the quote button at the top of the post you wish to quote from...the software will do the typing for you...alott easier than doing it yourself...you can also delete or highlight those portions you wish...try it, you'll like it :D
madjack 8)

Thanks madjack, that was a lesson for me!
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Whoa! Getting dizzy <g>

I did find that cutting against grain with jig produced more splinters than going with the grain. At least 1/2 my door has to go against the grain <g>
so I obviously need to look at the tape etc.

I did do magnetic pole alignments, threw salt over my shoulder and consulted the astrology column for the day--the latter said: 'be careful as you undertake new tasks for which you might find difficulties arising in Mars, Jupiter, Mercury, Saturn, Neptune, Pluto, Venus and Earth'. Damn if it wasn't righ on<g>

Moving on, I would appreciate MJ and all expanding on his '5/16' point. I interpret that to mean that there is a 5/16 inch gap between the door cut out and the wall to get adequate clearance for the door to swing etc (I am using 3/4" plywood) 5/16 seems like a huge gap to me, inviting rain to pour in!

That aside, how do you get a reliable, uniform 5/16 inch cut after the intial cut for the door?

Which leads me to the 'trim' issue. I am not clear just where/how trim on door wall is addressed once the door is cut.

Off to family reunion tomorrow morning, back Sunday night. Monday, back to work on the T!!! Yeah!

And, a word of consolation to Tony: 1/16 is a horrendous measurement.
MJ is right 1/32 is worse. For me, I think the Shim was invented to deal with stuff like that <g>

Thanks to all,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:46 pm

That aside, how do you get a reliable, uniform 5/16 inch cut after the intial cut for the door?

Jim
I would use a belt sander to smooth things out before I cut anything. Then dry fit and measure. I put my framing up and am sanding to meet the framing. Good clean line.

If you still need some off and want a straight line. Use your table saw. Very carefully. Because:

If you have a table saw with a fence,and set the fence at 1/8 (thats 2/16 ) ;) :lol: you should have removed some with you jig saw so if that is 1/8 then the width of the blade is another 1/8 and you are over (3/8 is 6/16):roll: However your jig saw blade isn't 1/8 so you can still be ok. You will have a straight line for your door If you go less than 1/8. :?

Hate math. Just sand it.
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques