Streched trailer... hogwash!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:31 pm

Let's see... 5' wide, with a bench on one side. Yes it would work, but you would also only have cooking facilities on one side, the opposite side from the bench.

But it would work... Let me do a quick sketch... be right back...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:24 pm

Okay, here's what the floor plan would look like if you wanted to make it only 5' wide...

One bench for sure. There's definitely not room for 2. And galley only on 1 side. The vestibule, is only 3' wide, and you'll need all of that to take your fall/winter clothes off!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Norm » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:30 pm

Thanks Mike, looks like this could work. This would also lower the overall weight of the unit. I'm limited to 1500 pounds towing capacity.

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:42 pm

Well then, here's a couple dimensions to help you out!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Winter Warrior

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:32 pm

I've been playing with a Winter Warrior idea but haven't gotten far.
Planing on 5 ft wide, 5ft tall and 10ft long. Would have a 6.6 ft bed with a stand alone tabe in the bed and a 3.5 ft galley area. Hopeing to build it on an old pop up trailer frame I have but I have to cut the width down and lengthen it a bit. here'e some rough pictures I did with photoshop.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marmoygar ... /my_photos

Gary :D
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby angib » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:34 am

I've had a go at this as well and have put a plan in my gallery: 5ft Warrior

A single bench and table is a bit 'bare' and unsociable, so how about L-shaped seating? If you make the (now smaller) table fold in half, you can even stow it away when not in use to make more space inside.

In my opinion, Mike is being very generous with the sizes of several things - this is a tiny trailer, not a house, so things need to be sized accordingly.

I think a lot of 'narrow' galley is more valuable than a little wide galley, so I've split the galley into a 18" deep worktop on one side and a 12" deep locker on the other side. This leaves 26" between them which is tight, but workable. So it is possible to fit a 24" wide door as shown, but there's no need - 22" or even 20" can be used for a 'stand-up' door.

Them's my ideas.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:42 am

I've been known to be a generous person!!! :lol:

Your floorplan looks good, but is there headroom for the person under that 30* front chamfer?

I really like the locker. I had envisoned a couple coat hooks there, but the locker adds a really nice touch!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:27 am

Mike wrote:but is there headroom for the person under that 30* front chamfer?

Ah! No, there isn't. But I'm not sure that would stop me. It'd fit kids and would still look more inviting than a straight bench staring at a wall. I think the single bench design would have been described by my mother as being "as homely as a railway station waiting room"*.
Andrew
*No, I don't know why that is the worst insult she would throw at a room!
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques